News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dremel Speed Control

Started by DavePEI, June 24, 2015, 07:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

If you are like me, you own a Dremel tool and use it often when working on phones and other projects.

Some Dremels offer adjustable speeds - others offer only one speed. However, they all suffer from the same problem  if you shut them off, you lose the speed you had previously set.

You used to be able to buy a speed control box from Dremel - you plugged your tool into it, and it became independently variable. These are no longer part of their line.

I found an inexpensive way to do this. I purchased a PMD Dial Speed Controller. These are available on eBay, but Harbour Freight also sells a version of the same model. They are actually made for router speed control, but think about it - a Dremel is a small router.

I paid $15.41 USD for mine. You plug it into the wall, and plug your Dremel into it. There is a rocker switch on the module which allows you to turn the tool off, , turn it on on full speed, and a position which puts the tool under the control of the speed controller.  A dial allows you to adjust the speed of the Dremel. When you are done, you can switch the tool off using the rocker switch.

Now, I have two Dremels, one a single speed unit, and the other a Dremel 3000, a variable speed unit. I knew it would be useful with the single speed Dremel, but didn't expect it to be useful with the variable speed Dremel. However, in practice, I find I am using it with my variable speed Dremel, because I can turn the tool off and on and maintain the same speed I was last using without fiddling.

The PMD is made for brush type motors only, and can power 120 Volt tools up to 15 amps. Thus, it will work not only with your Dremel, but also with your router, electric drill, what have you, as long as it is a Universal motor with brushes.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

An old fashion bench PSU (like a Variac or similar) would also work. Although, a good PSU is generally more expensive.

Ben

DavePEI

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 24, 2015, 08:21:10 PM
An old fashion bench PSU (like a Variac or similar) would also work. Although, a good PSU is generally more expensive.

Ben
Have you priced Variacs lately? Aside from this, this offers switching to allows you to turn off the tool remotely, and then to turn it back on at the same speed without having to re-set your speed, whereas with a variac, you have to dial it down to zero, and then re-adjust for speed the next time you need the same setting.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Jack Ryan

I have only been using Dremel tools for six years or so, before that I used a different brand. One is a 4000 and the other an 8200 (rechargeable). Although the 4000 has more grunt, I tend to use the 8200 because it is cordless. Both have variable speed control and both remember the last speed setting when turned on. I say "remember" but it is really a mechanical setting; nothing sophisticated like core memory!

I can't say that I have taken much notice but I think all of my power tools remember their last speed setting. I think it would be an effort to make one that doesn't.

For tools that don't have speed control though - great tip Dave! You should get one for each tool so you can recall the last speed used for each tool.

Jack

DavePEI

Quote from: Jack Ryan on June 24, 2015, 09:07:30 PM
I have only been using Dremel tools for six years or so, before that I used a different brand. One is a 4000 and the other an 8200 (rechargeable). Although the 4000 has more grunt, I tend to use the 8200 because it is cordless. Both have variable speed control and both remember the last speed setting when turned on. I say "remember" but it is really a mechanical setting; nothing sophisticated like core memory!

I can't say that I have taken much notice but I think all of my power tools remember their last speed setting. I think it would be an effort to make one that doesn't.

For tools that don't have speed control though - great tip Dave! You should get one for each tool so you can recall the last speed used for each tool.

Jack
Yes, the Dremel 4000 and 4200 are the only ones of their corded series which has a separate on/off switch. All the rest have their on/off switch incorporated in the speed control switch, so you have to rotate it back to zero to turn the tool off. So perhaps, this would be less useful with the 4000. But that leaves 20 or so older Dremel models this will be useful for.

At the cost of these, it would be possible to have several, but I'm not going to go to that extent :-)

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Jack Ryan

Quote from: DavePEI on June 24, 2015, 09:19:06 PM
Yes, the Dremel 4000 and 4200 are the only ones of their corded series which has a separate on/off switch.

Ah yes, and the drills have trigger control. I seem to have accidentally ended up with tools with separate speed control and power switches.

You might consider the combined switch a safety feature - especially if others use your tools. How many people leave the toaster burn control in the "correct" place?

Jack

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: DavePEI on June 24, 2015, 08:37:43 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 24, 2015, 08:21:10 PM

Ben
Have you priced Variacs lately? Aside from this, this offers switching to allows you to turn off the tool remotely, and then to turn it back on at the same speed without having to re-set your speed, whereas with a variac, you have to dial it down to zero, and then re-adjust for speed the next time you need the same setting.

Dave
No, I haven't. What I said was not intended to take away from your speed controller. Simply that there are other ways in which a dremel speed can be changed. As well as grinders, drills, and motors.

Ben

DavePEI

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 24, 2015, 10:22:18 PM

No, I haven't. What I said was not intended to take away from your speed controller. Simply that there are other ways in which a dremel speed can be changed. As well as grinders, drills, and motors.

Ben
No, I know that wasn't your intent. However, I would never recommend someone buy a variac for speed control, as it has no bypass or off position as this does, costs many times more, and is far more bulky and heavy. However, as you say, it will work to control speed.

This is only 4 3/8 x 2 9/16 x 2 3/4 inches and weighs less than a pound. Besides, it is only a suggestion - I am not telling people they have to have one  :)

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

19and41

That is a good tip for a vital tool.  Thanks!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

DavePEI

Quote from: 19and41 on June 25, 2015, 02:51:22 PM
That is a good tip for a vital tool.  Thanks!
I was using mine this morning, this time with my Dremel 100, the single speed machine as I worked on the Ericsson tower phone, using a wire brush to remove rust from the base.

What amazed me, is I could turn it all the way down, and it didn't reach a stall point, as the built-in speed control on the Dremel 3000 will. It slowed down to a really good speed at its lowest setting, and had plenty of torque to do the operation. Of course, between doing sections, I turned it off using the box switch, and was able to resume by merely turning the switch back on, maintaining the same speed.

I would definitely buy another if I had to! I will not regret spending the $15 CDN on it :) !

P.S. I was looking at Harbour Freight's listing for it - it is a bit more from them and sold under the brand DrillMaster:
http://www.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html

The seller I got mine from still has a few left at $12.49 USD:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/371347314833?
Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Bill

Quote from: DavePEIIf you are like me, you own a Dremel tool and use it often when working on phones and other projects ... Some Dremels offer adjustable speeds - others offer only one speed ...You used to be able to buy a speed control box from Dremel - you plugged your tool into it, and it became independently variable...

Like this one, maybe?

Bill

DavePEI

Quote from: Bill on June 28, 2015, 10:41:08 AM
Quote from: DavePEIIf you are like me, you own a Dremel tool and use it often when working on phones and other projects ... Some Dremels offer adjustable speeds - others offer only one speed ...You used to be able to buy a speed control box from Dremel - you plugged your tool into it, and it became independently variable...

Like this one, maybe?

Bill

Yep. You can still find the odd one on eBay (at exorbitant prices, I might ad), but Dremel appears to have dropped them from their line...

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Sargeguy

I use the foot pedal controller on a my wife's Foredom flex-shaft (when she isn't home of course).   
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

Bought one of those first posted by Dave.

Works well with the cheap one speed Dremel that I have. Polished some screw heads today with the wire brush tool and it was so much easier to get the job done at a slow speed. I can see the Dremel becoming the tool of choice for a lot more stuff now that I can run it at a reasonable working speed. Certainly worth the money paid for it.

Was hoping it would work with my bench buffer but no luck. Must not be a brush driven motor.

DavePEI

Quote from: TelePlay on July 05, 2015, 10:28:07 PM
Bought one of those first posted by Dave.

Works well with the cheap one speed Dremel that I have. Polished some screw heads today with the wire brush tool and it was so much easier to get the job done at a slow speed. I can see the Dremel becoming the tool of choice for a lot more stuff now that I can run it at a reasonable working speed. Certainly worth the money paid for it.

Was hoping it would work with my bench buffer but no luck. Must not be a brush driven motor.

They are great, aren't they! I use mine all of the time, even with my variable speed Dremel, because I find that the Dremel doesn't stall as slow speeds as it will using the internal speed control.

I have always loved the Dremels for small jobs, but never as much as I do now that I have good, reliable speed control.

Your bench grinder likely has an AC motor on it - brush driven tools will have little screw in brush covers (at least most of them), though some have to be opened to access the brushes. This covers most drills, routers, sanders, etc.

I am glad you are finding yours useful, John, as I am mine! It is always nice to get positive feedback from suggestions!
C*NET 1-651-0001