News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

European phone?

Started by Greg G., September 17, 2016, 07:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

My nephew sent me a picture with a vintage phone it.  Nice looking phone, looks European to me.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

What happened to the photo? Looks like someone redacted the person using the phone.

twocvbloke

Looks like an Ericsson Dialog (or one of the many copies):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ericsson_Dialog

Greg G.

Quote from: TelePlay on September 17, 2016, 07:58:04 PM
What happened to the photo? Looks like someone redacted the person using the phone.

Yes, I did that.  It was a pin-up that was too risque to post in it's entirety.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

Yes it is a version of the dialog. It is not made in Norway. (different dial centers here).
They are made in several versions, mainly differences in the hybrid circuit. 
The Norwegian was transistorized, with dynamic microphone, and a dial without center screw....
The dial numbering was different for us in Sweden different lettering for Denmark etc.

dsk

Matilo Telephones

Here is my 2 cts: the finish looks rather matte, so it may have been resprayed. More so because I have never seen a black one.

The number distribution seems to be 1-0, so not a Swedish or Norwegian version.

Lastly, the cords are black. If they are not repainted but original, this may indicate it is a Danish version. Danish coloured versions have black cords, and others usually do not. Not sure if Ericsson, Teli or Elektrsk Bureau ever made versions with black cords. If they did, they did not make many.

So my hunch is it is a Kirk f68.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Matilo Telephones

Thanks Dag. Coincidentally I read the article in the Ericsson review about the intronduction of the Dialog just 2 days ago and a black one was not mentioned.
And I did read the English wikipedia article too, but a black one is not mentioned either.
Before I posted my reply I goolged around a bit on Dialog colours and could not find a black one, so I was a little surpised when I saw one in the Swedish wiki article.
So would a black one be rare? A collectors item, perhaps? Like the black Socotel S63 and the T65?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

dsk

I guess so, Before this all telephones was black here, so it was "no" need for black.
dsk

Greg G.

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on September 18, 2016, 02:58:17 PM

So would a black one be rare? A collectors item, perhaps? Like the black Socotel S63 and the T65?

Given the context of the picture (a pin-up), I doubt it's a collector's item, but, I really like the semi-gloss/matte version of black and wouldn't mind having one like this if they weren't too pricey.
- Mike Row
e

Kenton K

I think I have a version of this phone in black. Not sure from where though. Is it the same type?

KK

AE_Collector

Quote from: TelePlay on September 17, 2016, 07:58:04 PM

Thought we had yet another picture posting problem on CRPF!

Terry

dsk

Quote from: Kenton K on September 18, 2016, 07:39:40 PM
I think I have a version of this phone in black. Not sure from where though. Is it the same type?

KK

Probably yes!
The 2 taps in front holding the metal bottom plate, YES!
The way the cords are fixed, YES!
The way the circuit card is fixed, Yes!
The 2 double taps/fingers + the 2 slide and fix attachments in the middle used for fixing the card, and dial to the bottom plate, Yes!
The number card holder: YES!
The design of the dial and finger stop, Probably/yes
The dial number/letter plate should be slightly smaller than the one used on a WE 500.

Or in other words, I can not by picture tell you anything saying its not. 
The dating and LME marking tells it is an early version too,  They started to make the Norwegian dialog in 1967.

dsk

unbeldi

By my readings, the Dialog was introduced in 1964, and the Ericsson Review dedicated an entire issue to the telephone that year.

Kenton's black telephone is a first year example and was made in September 1964 (40-64).

dsk

Ill guess you are right :-)
dsk