News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric 3 slot post pay

Started by glenne, February 06, 2015, 09:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenne

I have a Northern Electric Pay phone that I would like to get working. It is a conversion, and I believe it has a network and possibly a ringer. Attached are photos of the phone. It has no defining markings, but I believe it is the N233H. I had it on Craigslist, and it was reviewed by you and panned.

The history of the phone, it came from Truth or Consequences NM and was last modified in 1976. It had a diagram with it at one time, but it disintegrated. The LEC was Contel, and the phone was taken out of service in the mid 80's. The post pay feature did not require a special linefinder group and worked by having the coin relay flashing a line reversal.

I have more photos if these are not enough. This phone was working when it was removed.

Anyway, your help would be greatly appreciated.

glenne

G-Man

You have a seim-postpay instrument with aftermarket Teltronic replacement boards that were often added by refurbishers.

Too bad your documentation is no longer available. I thought that it was in the TCI Library but I am unable to find it.

There are a couple of members of the TCI listserve that have copies however I don't know if they are able or willing to scan them. Stan may also have the documentation so you may want to check with him.

Come to think of it, some of the Automatic Electric practices in the TCI Library may show them installed in AECo paystations.

G-Man

Another individual that may have documentation is David Willingham whom I believe may be a member of this forum:

---In singingwires@yahoogroups.com, [font=]In a message dated 3/4/2005 4:14:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,[/font] In a message dated 3/4/2005 4:14:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, <garsdubell@...> wrote :

I need a wiring diagram for an AE semi-post pay LPB 86-55. This one has the Teltronics SPC-1B1 circuit board and the SP105-C.
The green wire from the SP105-C is not connected. Does it perhaps go to L1 or L2?

Thanks
David Willingham

poplar1

The N233H required a separate 685A subset with a ringer and network. I can't tell from the photos whether some refurbisher has added a network or ringer inside the phone.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

glenne

poplar 1

Funny thing, I worked for Contel as a Central Office technician and I can't for the life of me remember if we had external Ringer boxes. These phones were removed and some of the employees were allowed to take them for personal use. I never tried mine out, then moved to the Northwest. I recently retired, and thought I would sell this. Much to my dismay, you can't just plug it into a telephone line and have it work.

It is in pretty good shape, but has some strange wiring (done with IW quad). Anyway, I will put in some more photos. You can see the connections between the the housing and the upper housing. I believe the diode in the photo has something to do with the mod, and I think I may need a physical ground to make everything work (except maybe the ringer).

Isn't the SP105-C the network?

Cheers,

glenne

dsk

Should be room for putting in what you need of network, and a buzzer or single gong ringer, and just get it working as a regular phone, or even a phone needing a coin to open the transmitter circuit.
On the other hand I am soooo curious about what the modifications are.

dsk

DavePEI

The phone looks to me to be a QSD3A rather than a 233. The box on the right front of the shelf aside from the coin chute is a relay which is triggered from the microswitch on the chute. QSD3A's in their natural state had no internal network, and were used with an external 685A subset.

It looks as though the Teltronics unit was used as a replacement for the normal can relay.

http://www.islandregister.com/phones/qsd3a.html

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Stan Schreier sent me the following information on the Telectronics boards in the phone:

QuoteThe SP 105 was an aftermarket replacement for the Automatic Electric semipostpay coin relay.

The ENM-1A was an aftermarket replacement for the Automatic Electric nickel counting assembly.

This picture is from a current Ebay auction for a Northern with an installed SP 105.
The microswitch should be mounted on the bracket. Seems it fell off.

The SP 105 was designed to replace a very complicated highly mechanical AE semipostpay coin relay. See below.

The ENM-1A takes the place of the mechanical AE nickel counting assembly. 
See below.

The nickel counter was a bi-stable switch that was mechanically reset by the electromagnet.

The pictures of the Northern posted on the forum show that the nickel trap is disabled. The ENM-1A was probably used in its place and disabled the microphone until a second nickel was deposited.

Below is an unpotted ENM-1A side by side with an AE assembly.

Why anyone would destroy a QSD-3A and install Teltronics assemblies is a mystery to me.No, the payphone has no installed network and YES, it needs a subset!
Thanks, Stan!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

xhausted110

I wonder if those would work on lower line current, my AE postpay works great on my step switch but is finicky on my polarity-reversing asterisk line.
- Evan