"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to replace handset cord on Stromberg 1197

Started by Dave Beck, January 22, 2014, 09:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Beck

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and fairly new to old phones. I just acquired a Stromberg Carlson 1197 non dial extension phone, it works great and I have replaced the line cord but can not figure out how to remove the transmitter from the handset to replace the handset cord. The cord on it is fair condition, but would like a new one to match the line cord.

Any suggestions? Thanks for any and all help.
Dave Beck

LarryInMichigan

Hello Dave.  Welcome to the forum.  BTW, "Dave" seems to be a very popular name for forum members. 

Is your handset the older type with the curved grip and the spit cup?  If so, the transmitter is screwed into the handset.  It needs to be turned counter-clockwise to be unscrewed.  If there is alot of dirt and/or corrosion in the threads, unscrewing it can be a bit challenging.

Good Luck!

Larry

wds

I have two of those older handsets that need new cords.  The transmitters have corroded, and the only way to get them out is to destroy them.  Since I don't have any replacement transmitters, I haven't been able to replace the old cords.  So, the handsets sit, waiting...........  good luck.
Dave

DavePEI

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dave Beck

Thanks everyone! I will try and remove it gently but if it doesn't come out it is going to stay with the phone..
Dave

wds

Here's a link to a discussion about the different transmitter types for the SC handset.  The curved handset has the threaded transmitter.

http://tinyurl.com/kc8stet
Dave

HarrySmith

I recently restored and sold one of the SC sets. The transmitter was screwed into the handset. I used a pair of needle nose pliers, spread open in 2 of the transmitter face holes and loosened it that way. The holes deformed slightly but not terribly. Also a spanner wrench of the correct size would work. You could make a spanner that would work with a piece of wood and 2 nails.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dave Beck

Thanks Harry,
I had a watchmakers back tool that work great, it did unscrew and I can now replace the cord. I appreciate all the help.
Dave

DavePEI

Hi Dave:

Why don't you take a photo of your back removal tool and how it can be used to remove the transmitter, and then post the photo to our tool forum? It might help others trying to remove one?

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

I agree with Larry, Dave is the "hot name" to have here. There is already 3 different people with the name Dave on this thread.

Welcome to the forum, too!

Ben