News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 91: Western Electric 1958-59 Soft Plastic Aqua Blue 500

Started by TelePlay, June 02, 2013, 02:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

Question: Is it easy to test the phone? I'm sure I have parts here to change the line cord. Is it easy to do? People are asking.
Thanks
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

LarryInMichigan

Mo,

The easiest way to connect the phone to test it is to connect the red and green wires at the end of the line cord to the red and green terminals in a modular phone jack, like the ones you gave me, and then connect a modular cord between that jack and a working phone jack in your house.

Larry

MagicMo

southernphoneman

Quote from: MagicMo on June 03, 2013, 04:05:20 PM
Question: Is it easy to test the phone? I'm sure I have parts here to change the line cord. Is it easy to do? People are asking.
Thanks
Mo

yes,all you need is a line cord that you know works preferably with a modular connector on one end to plug in the jack and take the other end hopefully with spade connectors on it and hook up red to L2, green to L1 and yellow to g and make sure that they are screwed down tightly see photo below.

poplar1

Either Larry's or southernphoneman's suggestion will work. However, since it has such a nice mounting cord, a biscuit jack as Larry suggested would allow you to keep the original cords. Some people don't like having the extra jack, however, and would prefer southernphoneman's  half-modular cord.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

It would be best to keep the current cord on it when connecting the phone for testing it, otherwise a line cord problem would be overlooked.  For selling it, I would probably connect the jack and a short length of modular cord plugged into it so that a non-phone-capable person would be able to enjoy the original appearance but also easily plug it into their home phone line.

Larry

zaphod01

The line cord really makes a difference to me. I'm much more likely to buy a colored 500 if it has the matching cord.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

MagicMo

Line Cord is staying as is. I'm going to have the hubby test it later. I like Larry's idea.
Thanks
Mo

WesternElectricBen

Wow, how much do you want for a couple connecting boxes and 4 prongs?

Ben

JorgeAmely

Jorge

AE_Collector

Jorge is in a different Time Zone err...Area Code....

Terry

TelePlay

Turning out to be an interesting contest. The guesses are quite linear from $30 to $200.

BTW, Jorge can amend his guess under the rules but his new guess will show it as a second guess with his first guess shown after his name in parenthesis. Terry started that a few contests ago for just such a situation.

Time zone?  ::)

MagicMo

Quote from: AE_Collector on June 03, 2013, 11:46:40 PM
Jorge is in a different Time Zone err...Area Code....

Terry

Or, on another planet with a guess of $30.01!
Mo 8)

MagicMo

10 min to go!