"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phone Index and 8 Digit Number Question

Started by Slal, January 09, 2017, 07:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slal

Hi everyone,

Picked up this little knick-knack as accessory item.  Think it cleaned up nicely & looks better with a new coat of paint.

Anyone know how old it might be?

If unclear in the photo, she's written Adam Kennedy 2307 - 3033

An eight digit number would be circa...  ???

Thanks!

Victor Laszlo

probably not an 8-digit phone number, at least in that format.  Might be two separate 4-digit numbers for the same person, or it might not be phone numbers at all.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on January 09, 2017, 09:42:47 PM
probably not an 8-digit phone number, at least in that format.  Might be two separate 4-digit numbers for the same person, or it might not be phone numbers at all.
I agree. I think it is most likely 2 phone #'s for 1 person., That is pretty cool to have 2 #'s to reach 1 person, I wonder if it is for "class room" and "lab" vs, "home" and Work".  That is a nice piece.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

paul-f

Quote from: Slal on January 09, 2017, 07:04:31 PM

I have two similar devices. The larger has patent dates of June 3, 1924 and August 4,1925 stamped on the bottom. It's labeled Bates Index and is for phone numbers.

The smaller is a Bates Cocktail Index, labeled The Junior Index on the knob. The paper roll has numerous drink recipes and a copyright date of 1934.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Greg G.

Quote from: Slal on January 09, 2017, 07:04:31 PM
Hi everyone,

Picked up this little knick-knack as accessory item.  Think it cleaned up nicely & looks better with a new coat of paint.

If unclear in the photo, she's written Adam Kennedy 2307 - 3033

An eight digit number would be circa...  ???

Thanks!

Maybe it was Adam Kennedy the actor?  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0447891/
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

andre_janew

If so, could it be an eight digit ID number from the Screen Actors Guild?

Slal

Quote from: paul-f on January 10, 2017, 12:43:51 AM
I have two similar devices. The larger has patent dates of June 3, 1924 and August 4,1925 stamped on the bottom. It's labeled Bates Index and is for phone numbers.

The smaller is a Bates Cocktail Index, labeled The Junior Index on the knob. The paper roll has numerous drink recipes and a copyright date of 1934.

A cocktail index?  They thought of everything...

Thanks for copyright info & photo.  Yours is in much better shape than mine.

On the knob, mine reads, "Patents Pending" so maybe early 1924?

Close enough I guess.

Quote from: Brinybay on January 10, 2017, 08:14:27 AM
Maybe it was Adam Kennedy the actor?  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0447891/

Hey that's cool.  Maybe far fetched, but "That's my story and I'm sticking to it!"  : )

Quote from: andre_janew on January 10, 2017, 12:49:03 PM
If so, could it be an eight digit ID number from the Screen Actors Guild?

More proof I do indeed have a celebrity phone index.   ; )

On a more serious note though, I had been wondering if they didn't have to dial an exchange or something (first four numbers) and then maybe a private operator plugs the call into the second set of numbers.  Need to find out more about how that worked back then.

Two numbers makes much more sense though.

Thanks everyone, for replies.

--Bruce