News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE565HD+ Hold Button Question

Started by RotarDad, January 26, 2013, 01:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

I just received a '62 WE565HD+ bought on Ebay.  It's cleaning up nicely, but I have a question.  The left button I understand is a hold.  However, if one of the other line buttons is depressed, pressing the hold button will release that pressed button.  The BSP says it's not supposed to operate this way.  I don't have a key system but I'd still like to understand the mechanism.   This phone was configured in the field as line 3 had a metal collar on it to prevent that button from being pressed, and button 6 has the screw removed so it operates as a non-locking signal button.  The hold button and button 6 also have no bulbs in their sockets.

Has my hold button also been "reconfigured" or is it broken?  Can it be fixed?  Thanks for any input!
Paul

Weco355aman

If you have a line button pressed down and you press the hold key you will release the line button that was down. The way 1A1/1A2 line equipment
works is if you break the A-Lead (Thur the hold key) it will place the line on hold.
With your phone if the last key is missing the locking pin then that line key was used as a signal key.  The signal function generally would buzz another phone.
If one line had a spring to prevent pressing that button down that was to prevent accessing that line.

The hold function is a 2 step process. The way that its works
When you press the hold key you open the A-lead and at that time the relay in the KTU (line equipment) opens a relay contact that then allows a loop relay to operate and places the line on hold, for a very short of time before the line button releases the telephone line is still connected to the phone and currant flows Thur the line relay to the phone. The hold circute  places a resistor across the line.
Phil

Adam

Quote from: RotarDad on January 26, 2013, 01:27:19 AM
if one of the other line buttons is depressed, pressing the hold button will release that pressed button.  The BSP says it's not supposed to operate this way.

As Weco355aman said, that is the normal operation. When you press the hold key, it allows the hold circuit for the depressed line key to start.  When you release the hold key, that pops up the depressed line key, taking the user off the line and allowing the hold circuit to continue to function.

Do you have a BSP that doesn't agree with that description?  What does it say?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

RotarDad

Thanks Phil and Adam for the detailed info - I appreciate the explanations.

Adam - On the BSP, I was reading thru 502-541-410 which covers servicing the 565HD.  On page 3, regarding the 589 key (the button /contact assembly), it gives several criteria for proper operation.  One item says "An operated key plunger should not release during downstroke of hold button".   This is what made me think mine had an issue.  Perhaps this refers to electrical, not mechanical, operation of the line?
--------
Update - I think I get it!  It's not the downstroke of the hold button that releases the line button; it's releasing the hold button that then allows the line button to pop up.  I just tried my 565 buttons again, and now I see.  I think I remember seeing this operation years ago - the line button would pop up, but the light would blink on that line reminding the user that someone was on hold there.  Is this correct?

Thanks again!
Paul
Paul

AE_Collector

Quote from: RotarDad on January 26, 2013, 12:43:09 PM
"An operated key plunger should not release during downstroke of hold button".

Isn't it the moment you release the hold button that the line button releases rather than during the pushing of the hold button? If so, the BSP is correct.

The placing of a line on hold is a critical part of the release of the line key and the A / A1 leads as mentioned and isn't the talk circuit involved in the timing as well. I used to be able to put lines on and off of hold at the 66 blocks using a test set on the talk pair and something to short the A / A1. It has been a long time now but I am getting close to having an AE 10A2 system working in my Telephone Workshop so that I can play with this stuff again.

Terry

Adam

Quote from: RotarDad on January 26, 2013, 12:43:09 PM
I think I get it!  It's not the downstroke of the hold button that releases the line button; it's releasing the hold button that then allows the line button to pop up.

That is correct.  The downstroke activates the hold circuit, releasing the hold button (the upstroke) pops up the line key.  It was really a rather ingenious design.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820