News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just arrived.. 1964 500 beige desk phone

Started by Bill Cahill, November 16, 2009, 12:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

Been using phone for a couple of days now. Nice loud dial, loud bells, a pleasure to use.
Volume is good. Dial is a 1956 date dial.
I'm really happy with this phone.....
Bill Cahill ;D ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

McHeath

Glad to hear it.  It's a nice phone, has some good looks, glad that it works well. 

jsowers

Quote from: Bill Cahill on November 17, 2009, 06:38:53 PM
Is this a WE 64' re furb?
The only writing on the black painted bottom is 500 CD.
The feet are 60's feet.
The mic, and, earphone, as said earlier, are from 50's.
The capacitor block says 64.
It has a soft center dial where number card goes.

Bill, I think you're correct. It's a 60s refurb. The black paint over the date on the bottom and the paint on the areas that rub on the bottom usually indicate a refurb. It was done before the modular era of the mid-1970s because it's hard-wired and the soft center fingerwheel probably means 1964 or 65. I think later refurbs have the later solid fingerwheel, but nothing is etched in stone when it comes to refurbs. They used what they had on hand. Many times the dates on the plastics will reveal when it was refurbed.

About the color, I think it's ivory from the auction pictures. It has a little bit of fade except where the handset sat. But it's not that bad. Ivory is a great color. Enjoy your phone. I like the sound the older dials make too.
Jonathan

Bill Cahill

I don't think it's ivory.. My camera seems to change colors of things with the flash.
When looked at with the naked eye, it all looks one color.
I can't find dates on plastics.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."