"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Looking for an AE50

Started by pdemming, January 10, 2011, 07:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdemming

Hi,
   I am looking for an AE50. They don't show up on Ebay too often, and I have never run across one when out junking. I think I live in WE territory. Never seen one in person, but one used to be in the opening credits of "The 4400", and I fell in LOVE!
   Where they metal case or plastic case? Does anyone want to part with one? Condition is not an issue as long as it is complete with no cracks.

Paul

jsowers

They were made of Bakelite, which isn't metal or plastic. Sometimes the black ones had chrome fingerwheels and chrome bands on the handset.

It reminds me of my grandmother, who had an AE50 in her hallway as her only phone for about 30 years. The outline of the phone is still in the paint on the wall, but it was sadly replaced with a modular SC554 in the same spot about 1983 when private lines were made mandatory in our area.

They aren't easy to find, but are well worth searching out. The horizontal way the handset sits is unique looking. This phone is sometimes called a "jukebox" phone. Here is more info on it...

http://www.telephonearchive.com/phones/ae/ae50.html

Included in the above link is another link to one on eBay. Right now there are at least two up for bids. One has a $149 starting bid, which is quite high.

Good luck in your search.
Jonathan

LarryInMichigan

If you are patient, you will likely find an AE50 for a good price, especially if you are willing to tolerate an imperfection or two.  I saw one go on ebay a few days ago for pretty cheap.  They also appear on craigslist occasionally.  I bought the one which is on my kitchen wall from a nearby craigslist seller.  It has some damage, but because of the place where it is mounted, the damage is not noticeable.

Larry

Phoniac

Quote from: jsowers on January 10, 2011, 08:38:07 PM
They were made of Bakelite, which isn't metal or plastic. Sometimes the black ones had chrome fingerwheels and chrome bands on the handset.

It reminds me of my grandmother, who had an AE50 in her hallway as her only phone for about 30 years. The outline of the phone is still in the paint on the wall, but it was sadly replaced with a modular SC554 in the same spot about 1983 when private lines were made mandatory in our area.

They aren't easy to find, but are well worth searching out. The horizontal way the handset sits is unique looking. This phone is sometimes called a "jukebox" phone. Here is more info on it...

http://www.telephonearchive.com/phones/ae/ae50.html

Included in the above link is another link to one on eBay. Right now there are at least two up for bids. One has a $149 starting bid, which is quite high.

Good luck in your search.

jsowers, I reckon it depends what you think is expensive. I had the pair, AE 50 with the chrome finger wheel and bands and matching desk set AE 40 with the same 10 years ago and sold them on eBay. I just bought them back so to speak and paid less for the AE 50 then I paid the first time, $100 but the desk set cost me. But then again, I wanted them both and thought it was well worth it. Both are in excellent condition. The AE 50 even had the Extensicord in also great condition. So I reckon it just depends how bad you want one and if you want to wait for a cheap one or buy one right now. I never buy damaged goods or ones with missing parts unless I have the parts or it's for parts. Just too hard to find parts when you need them. And if you have to repair a crack, chip or break the value is just not there and it'll be worth less in the long run. That's just my thoughts for what ever there worth.