News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to open up a Contempra?

Started by andy1702, January 08, 2017, 06:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy1702

I'm now the proud owner of two chocolate brown British Contempras (dial version). I have to say I'm really impressed with the build quality of these phones. They feel really solid.

My question is how do I get the case off? I found a video on Youtube that said remove the screws under the label covers and that's the way in to both the main body and the handset. The trouble is I'm not sure how to get the clear plastic covers off. I see a tiny pinhole at one side which I'm guessing might have something to do with it, but I thought I'd ask first. I don't want to break anything as they're quite rare over here and spares are pretty much non-existant.

Interestingly here in the UK we think of the Contempra as an 80's phone because it took about 20 years to make it over here. I was amazed when I found out it was a product of the 60's. Way ahead of it's time by our standards.

Andy.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

TelePlay

If it's the same as a WE Trimline, place a solid, round object (one that won't bend) into the hole and carefully put pressure on the plastic insert away from the hole. As the plastic moves it bends or bows up in the middle. You will begin to see the tab holding the plastic under the housing. Takes about 1/16" to expose it and to then lift up on the plastic with the tool in the hole. The plastic should come out at the point, after the tool is removed.

Do this slowly and carefully. These can be scratched if the tool slips and the plastic can break if pushed or bowed too much.

This is the hole (#1) and the direction to apply pressure (#2)

Andy, I hope this helps.