News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A couple of wall phones

Started by NorthernElectric, June 13, 2015, 02:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernElectric

I picked up a couple of wall phones yard saling this morning.  They set me back 2 bucks each.

On the left is a Northern Electric 554 base dated 1960.  Internal parts have matching dates but the housing and handset were replaced in a 1972 refurb.  The caps are painted with much of the paint worn off.  Underneath they are a much duller black.  Could these be bakelite?

On the right, an AE 90 in I believe, ivory.  I haven't opened this one up yet; just gave it a quick wipe on the outside.  I don't see any obvious date codes on the back.  Can these be dated?
Cliff

jsowers

The fingerwheel on the AE90 with the screw in the center would make it a later model, from the 1970s I would think. I'm sure those who know more than I do about AEs will chime in if that's not correct. The models with the screw in the center used stick-on number cards. I remember that from our AE80 at home and from those in other houses when I was a kid in the 1970s. It looked like Tyvek, with the strands in the paper, I assume to make it tear-proof.

Two dollars each is a very good price for these.
Jonathan

Sargeguy

I am a little concerned that I see the early stages of "Phone Hoarding" developing.  Is anyone else seeing the warning signs?   ::)
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

andre_janew

I just hope it won't come to him getting killed when a huge pile of phones falls on top of him!  This sort of thing happening with newspapers is bad enough.  (I think I watch too much CSI!)

compubit

Quote from: Sargeguy on June 13, 2015, 08:43:24 PM
I am a little concerned that I see the early stages of "Phone Hoarding" developing.  Is anyone else seeing the warning signs?   ::)

Hey - wait a minute! I resemble that remark, too!!!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke