News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Found this Hearing Impaired inlay in NE G6 Handset of White AE phone??

Started by axil, June 14, 2015, 02:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axil

I picked up a nice white Automatic Electric Desk Phone and found the Handset to have a metal inlay with a volume control engraved with Northern Telecom NE G6 Handset(see pics). Just wondering how rare this is as I have not seen this before???

WEBellSystemChristian

The handset itself is most likely not rare and it's certainly not original, but it sure looks nice on that 80! :)

Nice find!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Ktownphoneco

They were readily available, both from Northern and Western during the lifetime of the "G" series handsets, but they were made for the hearing impaired and noisy locations.     I would imagine their existence today, is probably based on a percentage similar to that of the number of people suffering from a hearing impairment and the number of noisy locations where they were installed, back in the day that the "G" series handsets were in use. 
What is interesting, is the fact the set has a Northern amplified handset rather than the A.E. version, assuming of course, that A.E. made an amplified handset, which would seem logical.
I have several amplified handsets, both Western and Northern.

axil

thx after my post i did start finding the handsets on ebay etc...the fact that it is on a  AE kind of threw me as the color and patina match perfectly. Oh well $10 well spent anyways :)

19and41

My grandparents got one of those around 1968, with a beige 500 to replace their old black one.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

axil

I dont recall them..That was back in the 60's 70's there's a lot of things I dont remember(or  care to) :)

19and41

That feature had one thing in common with the toilet seat.  The handset would drill my ears out so I would turn it down.  The folks would get caught not being able to hear, so they would angrily turn it up.  Just like a toilet seat.  If you don't understand, count your blessings.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

andre_janew

I have an amplified handset on my black WE 2500.  I don't really need such a handset now, but in the future I might.  Also, it came with the phone.  Mine is a modular one and not hardwired.  Like axil, I didn't pay a lot for it either.  Yes, it is a WE G6 and it does match the color of the phone.  An amplified handset doesn't seem to add any value to the phone.

axil

Quote from: andre_janew on June 15, 2015, 07:02:38 PM
I have an amplified handset on my black WE 2500.  I don't really need such a handset now, but in the future I might.  Also, it came with the phone.  Mine is a modular one and not hardwired.  Like axil, I didn't pay a lot for it either.  Yes, it is a WE G6 and it does match the color of the phone.  An amplified handset doesn't seem to add any value to the phone.

I myself wouldn't mind having several colors with matching amplified handsets in excellent condition..You would think there is extra value to these...I wonder if there are some collectors out there who actually have a collection of these???