News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is required to make a WE 555 Cord Board work?

Started by Ed D, April 16, 2011, 06:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: Wallphone on April 21, 2011, 09:00:36 AM
DavePEI, What is the lamp voltage on your power supply? It was mentioned earlier that lamp voltage is either 24 or 48 volts and that the lamps will last longer with 24V. I posted a picture of my power supply on page 1 of this thread and it lists lamp voltage as 10V, 8A. I don't have my switchboard in service yet so I can't tell if the 10V will work or not. Would it work with 10V or would I have to change all the lamps? Also, what terminals do you have all your different voltages going to? Thanks for any info you can offer.
Doug Pav

Hi Doug:

The lamps are 24 volts, and that is what most people power their boards with. In this case, the ring generator runs off the 10 volts from the supply (from memory) . The 10 volt output isn't used if your PS had a ring generator built-in. The 24 v is for lamp and talk voltages (some do feed 48 into them and get away with it).  Wires are doubled only to increase current carrying ability.

You can click on the photo below to enlarge it for easier viewing.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Wallphone

Thanks Dave. I'm curious about how many different voltages you are tapping in to on the power supply. I was thinking that you only needed two voltages, Talk & Ringing. Mine is wired 24VDC filtered for talk and 100V 30Hz for ringing. You said that you are using 24V for ringing. Did you mean 24V for Talk & Lamps?
Doug Pav

DavePEI

Quote from: Wallphone on April 21, 2011, 11:16:19 AM
Thanks Dave. I'm curious about how many different voltages you are tapping in to on the power supply. I was thinking that you only needed two voltages, Talk & Ringing. Mine is wired 24VDC filtered for talk and 100V 30Hz for ringing. You said that you are using 24V for ringing. Did you mean 24V for Talk & Lamps?
Doug Pav

No, the fact that I also need 10 volts from my supply is confusing you. That is only for the QGG1A ring generator, as the ring generator is separate on this supply. I only use one 24 vdc output for the board, but as my ring supply is separate, I need to provide voltage to supply it (which happens to be the 10 v.)

So really what is being used for the actual board, is the 24 vdc, and the ringing voltage (100 vac 30 cycle from the QGG1. If your supply incorporates the ring voltage, both the 24 volts DC and ring voltage come directly from the supply. In that case, the 10 volts wouldn't be used.

The talk and ringing was just a typo in the last message. It has been corrected.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

HarrySmith

I may be interested in one of the power supplies Jim.

The switchboard "Drop Light" is a neat item. I am looking for one! I have a bulb, I thought I was buying a lamp assembly but it was only the bulb!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

DavePEI

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 21, 2011, 03:33:36 PM
The switchboard "Drop Light" is a neat item. I am looking for one! I have a bulb, I thought I was buying a lamp assembly but it was only the bulb!

Hi Harry:

I have a drop light I use with my switching demo. I hope this is what you were talking about. It is powered off the 48 VDC supply of the demo unit. I use it not only when working on the switch, but also to light photos of PEI's old switches located next to the demo.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

HarrySmith

Yeah Dave, thats the one!
I want one for my board ;)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

Anyone going to the Abilene Texas show can pick up a 24 volt supply chwap! This member posted on the list recently:

I have an older model S.C. Power Supply in good condition that I will bring to the Abilene show if there should be any interest in it

It is a S.C. PS-100 115 volt power Supply. AC Output 10V & 18V. DC Output 24V Signal & 24V Talk.

Don't expect much for it. Just don't care to bring it to the show unless someone is interested. I'm going to be packed with other phone "stuff" !

Will email photo to anyone interested.

Thanks!

Bill Whitlow
whitcomm@embarqmail.com
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

DavePEI

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 21, 2011, 04:23:38 PM
Yeah Dave, thats the one!
I want one for my board ;)

They are great. It took me a while to find this one, but they do come on eBay every so often. The bulbs are hard to get for them (with the re-enforced face), but there are modern par bulbs in various voltages without the heavy diffuser. When I got this one, I was fortunate that I got two bulbs when I got this one, so I should be ok for a while.
C*NET 1-651-0001

marty

Hi All;
I got Ringing on my 557 Switchboard, It uses different pins than the 555.. and it works with or without 24 volt power to the Board.. See my posting on the 557 for more details...
THANK YOU Marty

DavePEI

Quote from: marty on April 21, 2011, 04:36:09 PM
Hi All;
I got Ringing on my 557 Switchboard, It uses different pins than the 555.. and it works with or without 24 volt power to the Board.. See my posting on the 557 for more details...
THANK YOU Marty

Don't forget that 555s and 557s though they are built on the same chassis, share some of the same modules, and look similar, but are completely different animals.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Jim Stettler

Doug Pav

Doug,
Your 24vdc filtered talk and 30 HZ ring are all you need. The other 24volt lamp power is spare.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

marty

Hi All;
Yes, Dave, I know that they are different animals, But they use the same basic units, as far as the the cord board units and the trunking and the extension units.. The lower part of my unit is like a 555, its the upper part that is different, where a 555 has more extensions, mine has the answering service part.. but the main board part of mine when looking at the SD for it -- says 555... (SD 66520).
THANK YOU Marty

Wallphone

Jim S., Thanks for the info on what voltages I need. That is how I have it wired now but when they started talking about lamp voltages I wanted to be sure.
Doug Pav

DavePEI

Quote from: Jim S. on April 21, 2011, 04:56:15 PM
Doug Pav

Doug,
Your 24vdc filtered talk and 30 HZ ring are all you need. The other 24volt lamp power is spare.
Jim

The photo of the power supply I posted is of it still in the KSU (and the connections it shows are for the KSU, not as connected to the 555; wonder if that is part of the confusion?) - as I mentioned, only the 24 VDC talk voltage is used (as well as the 10VDC used only to power the QGG1A ring generator) On a power supply with a built-in ring generator, you will be able to get 24VDC talk, and ring directly from the supply. The lamp voltage is derived from the 24 VDC talk voltage.

Why somebody mentioned the lamps is that some installations used 48 volts talk suppies. If a unit designed for the normal 24 volts to a 48 volt supply, its lamps will have a very short life.
C*NET 1-651-0001

Wallphone

Dave, I was just making sure that it didn't need three different taps on the power supply. It looks like I'm all set with the Lorain power supply that I have. It seems strange to me that your QGG1A takes 10VDC and converts it to 100VAC 30HZ. But that is probably because I don't know much about Key Systems yet. A TCI member gave me a 1A2 Key System but I haven't picked it up from him yet.
Doug Pav