News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Type 21 Stick

Started by LarryInMichigan, March 26, 2016, 10:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I had been looking for a decent AE21 stick for quite a while, and I finally got one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/172141370790.  The metal surfaces are mostly in very good condition, so some polishing should make the phone look really nice.  The dial is the pre-Type 24 "mercedes" type.  Can someone please tell me how to remove the card retainer without breaking anything?  The transmitter and receiver are the 1940s upgrade type with type 41 elements.  I have a spare AE type 3 CR transmitter, dated Oct 27, lying around.  Would that have been appropriate for this model phone?

I am in the process of cleaning up the phone and hope to post some 'after' pictures in the next few days.

Thank You

Larry

Pourme

Good buy on great stick....congratulations...can't wait to see if cleaned up!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Jack Ryan

"Pre-type 24"? Do you mean Type 23?

The retainer clips on. Look at the outside edge of the retainer at 4 and a bit. Lift there with a finger nail under the outside edge - the retainer will lift off pivoting on the pin-in-the-hole directly opposite. To replace, put the pin in the hole, straighten the card and clip down.

Jack

LarryInMichigan

I don't know what the official model number of this dial was.  I do not seem to able to remove the retainer.  I can lift the retainer near the '4', but it will not pivot at all in either direction.  I am afraid that I may have damaged something trying.  Are there any diagrams of this dial?

Thank You

Larry

stub

Larry,
           Here's what I think you have . Insert pocket screwdriver at the "single" tab and twist gently. The tab should be around 4 as Mr Ryan stated but you know the help these old phones get before we get them! The tab can be anywhere on the dial card ring.  Hope this helps .          stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jack Ryan

Quote from: stub on March 27, 2016, 01:26:03 AM
Larry,
           Here's what I think you have . Insert pocket screwdriver at the "single" tab and twist gently. The tab should be around 4 as Mr Ryan stated but you know the help these old phones get before we get them! The tab can be anywhere on the dial card ring.  Hope this helps .          stub

That is the retainer from a Type 23 dial. If your clip is "anywhere around the dial", you have lost or bent the key; it should be in one place.

I have seen the helpers you referred to though - they have a toolkit consisting of a big hammer and a bigger hammer.

Jack

stub

Larry,
         They also fit the AE dial blanks .  The guide or locator pin is also shown . I have seen them bent and broken off and rusted tight . Good Luck           stub

left click on pics to enlarge
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Larry,
            BTW that's a nice 21A Desk set or to be 21 desk set.    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

Thank you for the help.  I did manage to remove the ring, and I also found that I have a spare which is in slightly better condition.  I got it years ago with a lot of assorted dial parts. 

I have managed to remove the finger wheel and number plate.  The dial really needs a good cleaning.

Larry

Jack Ryan

Quote from: stub on March 27, 2016, 04:05:38 AM
BTW that's a nice 21A Desk set or to be 21 desk set.    stub

Stub,

Why do you think it is a 21A?

Jack

stub

Mr. Ryan,
              Larrys' guote " The transmitter and receiver are the 1940s upgrade type with type 41 elements."  AE Catalog 4055 C , pgs. 19 and 50 just call it that I guess because of the upgraded trx and receiver.    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jack Ryan

Stub,

An AE 21A is a different phone. It has a Bakelite base that accepts a flush mounted Type 24 dial and is AST.

It's not the same as an AE 21 with a modular transmitter and receiver upgrade.

Regards
Jack

unbeldi

Well, the Type 21 desk stand of the 1930s also was already made with a Bakelite body, even before the 21A.

One aspect that does appear to distinguish the 21A is that it indeed used the new style transmitter and receiver elements that were in use starting late 30s and the 1940s.

However, even in 1940, the catalog specifies that the same instrument, 21A, can be ordered with a metal base.

It seems to me, the suffix A is merely an evolutionary catalog designation, rather than designating a new type. This is pretty much what the Type 21 did all along since 1921/2: evolve.

PS: I would not exchange the receiver or transmitter that were found on the set, unless the original manufacturing date can be determined and all of the exact components found.  As is, the set is perfectly authentic, I feel.  — And the found components probably function a lot better than anything previously.  The state of technology, as found, is just as worthy of collecting, preserving, and presenting as any earlier state.

LarryInMichigan

I cleaned and polished the phone and reassembled it, minus the mounting cord which some genius wrapped in vinyl tape which is now stiff.  I will probably need to look for a new mounting cord.  I replaced the brown felt on the bottom plate and the dial card retainer ring with one, which was is better shape, from my parts collection.  I found that the connections appear to match the "ae21dsb" diagram on the TCI website for the AE desk set with booster circuit.

If this dial is a Type 23, and there was a Type 24, does that mean that this model dial was only made for about a year?  The base of this phone is metal.

Larry

rdelius

I think it took a couple of years for the type 24 dial to come out.Dont think I have seen a type 1 with a type 23 dial so I guess it was gone by then.