News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What's the Time and Temperature Phone Number in your Area ?

Started by bingster, July 16, 2009, 04:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JmaJeremy

In Canada we have an official talking clock service:
(613) 745-1576 (English)
(613) 745-9426 (French)
It is a long distance call for anyone outside Greater Ottawa.

Environment Canada provides a local number for weather info in most parts of Canada.
(514) 283-3010 in my native Montreal, for instance.
Unfortunately, the latter requires a touch tone phone to get to weather info, so it's no fun as a test number with rotary phones :P

WesternElectricBen

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Greg G.

http://www.phworld.org/sounds/modern/timetemp/

Only gives the weather for Seattle, and then, too many choices:  206-526-8530.

Reminds me of a story I heard once.  A guy was traveling through the midwest and listening to the news on his car radio.  He was tuned in to a local radio station when the weatherman announced "Snow today, can't tell you how much, hasn't stopped yet!"
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WesternElectricBen

I don't get it, Brinny. Was their suppose to be a punch line?

Ben

Adam

That's sort of like asking the pilot of a plane "Where are we?" By the time he answers, you're not there anymore.

:)
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Greg G.

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on July 18, 2014, 12:47:37 AM
I don't get it, Brinny. Was their suppose to be a punch line?

Ben

The punch line is that the weatherman was just looking out the window for the weather info, contrasted with meteorologists with their doppler radars, 7-day forecasts and all that high-tech stuff that would have predicted how many inches of snow.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Babybearjs

so, they killed our POP-CORN.... so that's what happened to it... maintainance nightmare my foot.... they just didn't want the equipment. this saddens me because I grew up in the SF bay area and always called the time of day... you would think they would have upgraded the system when they went digital... all the phone companies have destroyed they're labor force and forced tons of techs to work to death.... literally! anyway, its sad that the time of day is gone.....
John

JmaJeremy

Quote from: Babybearjs on July 25, 2014, 01:43:14 AM
so, they killed our POP-CORN.... so that's what happened to it... maintainance nightmare my foot.... they just didn't want the equipment. this saddens me because I grew up in the SF bay area and always called the time of day... you would think they would have upgraded the system when they went digital... all the phone companies have destroyed they're labor force and forced tons of techs to work to death.... literally! anyway, its sad that the time of day is gone.....
People are very quick to label things as "obsolete" and just end it without considering the consequences. The reality is, the talking clock is still useful...I often use both the telephone and shortwave radio versions to set my clocks, especially after (or during) a power failure among other occasions...it would be a shame not to have it.

Babybearjs

the one thing that I know is that the UTC in Boulder Colorado is still running.... but you need a SW to hear it... I think there is a web link with audio but I'm not sure....
John

LM Ericsson

Regards,
-Grayson

Adam

Quote from: Babybearjs on July 29, 2014, 11:47:19 PM
UTC in Boulder Colorado is still running.... but you need a SW to hear it... I think there is a web link with audio but I'm not sure....

You're speaking about radio station WWV, and no, although I've been wishing for it for as long as there's been an internet, there is NO streaming audio of WWV.

You can hear them on the telephone, though, but it cuts off after 2 minutes.  The number to listen to WWV is:

1303-499-7111

For more info about WWV, here is their web site:

http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/wwv.cfm
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

bellsystem

1 (763) 512-1111 is a popular nationwide Temperature number is.

It provides local weather for the Twin Cities, but if you wait for the recorded message, then dial (using a DTMF keypad) 1, then 2, then your ZIP code, you can get weather for your area.

AL_as_needed

Quote from: bellsystem on July 19, 2017, 02:21:17 PM
1 (763) 512-1111 is a popular nationwide Temperature number is.

It provides local weather for the Twin Cities, but if you wait for the recorded message, then dial (using a DTMF keypad) 1, then 2, then your ZIP code, you can get weather for your area.

I will have to try this out here in NY.
TWinbrook7

Pourme

I realize it's a older but, interesting thread...

In Hickory, NC the time & temp # has a sponsor and is still active at 828-324-1234....
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service