"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO 706 Chrome Carry Bar and Wall Mount 706 Handset Cradle

Started by twocvbloke, December 07, 2012, 03:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Well, I finally got three things I wanted, a trio of chrome!! ;D

Well, okay, two things, the third I got just cos it was there, anyway, they're a pair of wall conversion hooks, one for the 706 (didn't need, but was there!!) and the other for the 746, and of course, the one thing I have needed for my dialless 706, a chrome carrying handle to replace the broken plastic one, so all in all I'm happy... ;D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281030437432 - 706 Carrying handle
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281030360995 - 706 Conversion hook
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281030362516 - 746 Conversion hook

And pictures, just cos... :D

twocvbloke

I just realised, aside from being slow, the one I marked as being a 746 bracket isn't for the 746, it's another 706 bracket, just a slightly different design... ::)

D'oh!!! :D

Ah well, it's an all-706 parts lot then... :D

twocvbloke

They arrived today, the first conversion hook is actually brand new it seems, complete with screws & instructions, and the carrying handle is complete with screws & spacers too, but no instructions, haven't fitted either of the conversion hooks, as the handle was tough to get into place and I don't feel like removing it... :D

And a picture of the manual 706 with the handle fitted, with some Minecraft in the background, cos I love that game... ;D

david@london

carrying handle looks very good....... i haven't seen a metal one before.

& you bought it from rather a teriffic place -

full name .........Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

twocvbloke

I've seen several metal handles on ebay over the past year, but they've always been between £10 and £15 which is a bit pricey for a strip of pressed metal covered in chrome, hence why I jumped on that one, along with the wall conversion hooks, which means I just have to get myself another couple of 706 (or similar) phones... :D

And I refuse to try and pronounce that placename, cos it's just impossible for me to do it... :D

david@london

it's dead easy......

[ch]llan-fire ,  poor-gwingeth , go gaireth , wyndrob witth , [ch]llan da syllio , go go go...

approximately.

twocvbloke

Nope, still sounds like I'm suffering bronchitis... :D

david@london

how do the wall conversion hooks work ?

twocvbloke

They just go in place of the carry handle/escutcheons, a T-bar bracket mounts the phone to the wall, and you rotate the dial 180 degrees (if applicable) so it's the right way up, the handset is placed into the hook and operates the hookswitch in the same way as it would in the tabletop config, only with the handset sideways on... :)

The 746 version works in the same way, the only difference is the way it attaches to the phone, it is bolted onto the case inside the carry handle cup instead of being bolted to the hookswitch frame like on the 706... :)

Nick in Manitou

My brain kind of cramped until I searched Google Images for, "Wall Mounted 706 Telephone".

Now I can see how these work!

AE_Collector

Quote from: david@london on December 10, 2012, 11:10:26 AM
you bought it from rather a teriffic place -

full name .........Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

I'VE BEEN THERE! Not for a few years now mind you. 1983 I think.

So the first one is a carry handle for desk 706 and the other two replace the carry handle on a 706 when the 706 is wall mounted?

And finally....How acurate is this new Subject Line for this thread? Made a couple of changes for "accuracy"!Any improvements I could make to it?

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 10, 2012, 09:29:32 PMSo the first one is a carry handle for desk 706 and the other two replace the carry handle on a 706 when the 706 is wall mounted?

Yep, that's right... :)

They originally put that design together before they had the 711 wall phone, so the originals are probably few & far between, but of course the aftermarket parts are available to make them up, they're just a tad pricey...  :D

gpo706

Got two wall mounting brackets, one is bent, the other is on a 706 in boring ivory on my wall.

The chrome carrying handles are very useful seeing as the original plastic ones are so flimsy!

I put the one I got on my red 706, nicely blinged up.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

twocvbloke

The chrome handle certainly is more rigid than the plastic one that my 706 had (especially since the plastic handle broke off!!), being fixed to the framework that the hookswitch assembly is attached to certainly makes it feel more structural, though I'm still being careful with it as it still feels a bit on the lightweight side in terms of strength, which I'm sure is just in my head rather than an actual problem...  :D

david@london

i was in Llanfairpg (local abbreviation) yesterday and took this picture.
i'm not sure if it'll help twocvbloke with his welsh pronunciation though..............