News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

sorry, no dial, no ringer either - GPO 713

Started by gpo706, July 12, 2010, 07:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

Twas on ebay with a gorgeous red Comtempra, that went for £56, so I'm stuck with my brown job!

Anyhow, bid for this and got beat, then the seller gives me a second chance offer for £6, whoever outbid me must have got cold feet.

How could I refuse, especially a few days after pay-day!

Commonly known as a "pendulum phone", there is a bakelite equivalent, also bid on a few of those but obviously somebody better looking or richer outbid me on those...

http://www.britishtelephones.com/t713.htm

This is meant to be from a Strowger exchange, and I beleive the seller as he knows his onions, and I've helped him with his mortgage for many a year, top class ebayer.

Anyway just need a bellset to ring it, have all the GPO circuit diagrams for it, but where am I gonna put it - the toilet?

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

gpo706

Ok - its a "pendant" only becomes a pendulum if you bang it from side to side, if you want to be "pedantic"!

gpo706

Just had a look, couldnt see any way to get the casing off, so referenced the site for the instructions, its held in by two small plastic lugs:

http://www.britishtelephones.com/t713.htm

Well thats fine then a little pressure from a small flat bladed scrwedriver and it pops off.

Later I tought - "but if its screwed to the wall how do I access the lugs with a screwdriver?

Answer - you dont, the metal base at the bottom has a flange under the handset cord which you simply hold with one finger and lever the case off from the bottom up.

So no screwdrivers needed, amazingly ingenious these design engineers are, I'm constantly baffled and amazed in the same turn.

I got the N-diagram as well, so will know what goes where, (the original line cord has been truncated at the base).

This will be a wee pet project for a while.

bwanna

very interesting set. it is nice & compact, i think the bathroom would be a likely location. although, i never did understand the idea of a phone in the bathroom.
donna

bingster

I like the looks of that one.   Very minimalist and modern.  There are some small kitchens with so many cabinets that there's no room even for a standard wall phone.  This one, though, could go just anywhere.
= DARRIN =

gpo706

These were used for exactly the situation you say, compact handset and cradle, they were used in probably all air-traffic control centres in the UK at one point.

To make it work as a whole phone it needs wired in with a buzzer or bellset and a discreet dial mechanism mounted under your work surface.

gpo706

You gotta bide your time eh?

So I lost out on a 50B, matching colour, I manged to get a 50C in ivory, so now I have the trinity to make the handset work.

http://www.britishtelephones.com/bellst50.htm

and the "discreet dial" also in two-tone grey, should wire up fine (or will it).

This is honestly the most tiresome projects I've had, having to buy three different bits at different times and then having to wire them all up!

It may as well go in the bathroom/toilet.

gpo706

50C bellset:

I think the "C" meant it was wired for plug and socket technology (PST).

It's basically a 746 base without any guts, just a bell.