News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 202 with an AE dial - wiring diagram

Started by wds, February 01, 2010, 09:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

One of my recent finds was a WE 202, with an AE dial.  I'm sure someone probably swapped out the original 4H dial for the AE version.  The phone wasn't wired properly, and was rigged to get a dial tone without using a subset.  After spending the better part of a day scouring this forum and others looking for the proper wiring diagram for this setup, and trial and error with the wiring, I finally found the diagram.  Steve Hilsz from VTS Industrial Company gave me the correct wiring, and I thought I would share it with everyone here.  My 202 now works perfectly, with a subset I made with one of Ray's covers, placed over a North Electric base (cover fits perfectly over a 302 base and NE base).  Anyway, here is Steve's instructions, with an attached diagram.  Hope this is helpful to someone.

"Most AE dials have five screw contacts. Two of them are the pulse contacts, one moveable and one fixed. The other three contacts are shunt contacts, which short out the receiver during dialing. The fixed pulse contact usually has a strap connecting it to the inner shunt contact. You will be using the two pulse contacts and two of the shunt contacts. For simplicity, we will describe the various contacts as follows:"

1.   Moveable pulse contact  (Y on dial – jumper to BK on hookswitch)
2.   Fixed pulse contact  (BK on dial - black handset wire, black mtg. cord wire – to condenser wire, then to C on coil)
3.   Inner shunt contact  (BK on dial)
4.   Middle shunt contact ( R on dial - Red handset and mtg. cord wire - to R on coil)
5.   Outer shunt contact  ( BB on dial - white handset wire. Connect jumper to W on hookswitch)

Dave

poplar1

Quote from: wds on February 01, 2010, 09:02:05 PM"Most AE dials have five screw contacts. Two of them are the pulse contacts, one moveable and one fixed. The other three contacts are shunt contacts, which short out the receiver during dialing. The fixed pulse contact usually has a strap connecting it to the inner shunt contact. You will be using the two pulse contacts and two of the shunt contacts. For simplicity, we will describe the various contacts as follows:"

1.   Moveable pulse contact  (Y on dial – jumper to BK on hookswitch)
2.   Fixed pulse contact  (BK on dial - black handset wire, black mtg. cord wire – to condenser wire, then [red condenser wire] to C on coil)
3.   Inner shunt contact  (BK on dial)
4.   Middle shunt contact ( R on dial - Red handset and mtg. cord wire - to R on coil)
5.   Outer shunt contact  ( BB on dial - white handset wire. Connect jumper to W on hookswitch)

With slight modification, this should also work for a 302, since a 202 and 302 have the same circuit (other than that on a 4H or 5H dial in a 302, the R terminal goes to L1 rather than R on the induction coil).

Likewise, the WE 6T, 6U, or F-56661 has normally open shorting contacts for the receiver, like the WE 7-type, 8-type, and 9-type WE dials -- and like the standard AE dial --  rather than normally closed  contacts that open the receiver while dialing in WE 4H, 5H, and 6A dials.

Therefore, Steve's method of using an AE dial on a 202 can also be adapted for using a WE 6T, 6U, or F-56661  dial on a 302.

Dial pulse:                                                     4H or 5H         6T, 6U, F-56661
Brown-yellow hookswitch                                    Y                         G
Black handset and black condenser                  BK                        BL

Receiver muting on 4H/5H/6A:  (Normally closed  BB and W contacts open when dial is operated) 
White receiver wire                                         W
Brown-blue hookswitch                                   BB

Receiver muting on 6T/6U/F-56661: (Normally *open* BB and W contacts close when dial is operated)
White receiver wire AND                                                                 W
Brown-Blue hookswitch                                                                   W
>ADD  new Jumper wire from R on induction coil to dial to........... BB

Finally, if you want to short the complete phone during dialing (except for the pulsing contacts),  like the 5H and 6A dials, you would use the existing slate-red jumper from L1 to R on dial.  Then connect BK on dial to BL.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

MMikeJBenN27

I have sold a couple with AE dials.  Often, these were phones sold to independent non-Bell operating companies who installed the AE dials.  Some people like them better I guess.  For later 300 and 500 series phones, a clue is the F handset saying "Western Electric Company" and "F1W".  On 500s, the shell says "Western Electric" but doesn't say "Bell System".

Mike