News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern electric Bakelite?

Started by debeaune, June 22, 2014, 08:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debeaune

Hello all, picked up this bakelite this weekend, can anyone help me ID it?  All I can make out is the ring freq and the Northern Electric stamp on the base.  Any idea how old, model number etc?  Also has the old 4 wire plug, any chance of my crimping an RJ-11 to this cable or near impossible?  Thanks...Tim

poplar1

This is a North Electric (Galion, Ohio) model 7H6, not Northern Electric 302 (Montréal). The dial is either Western Electric or Northern Electric--but not North Electric in any case. There should be dates on the transmitter, receiver, handset, and induction coil.

Rather than try to install an RJ11 plug, you may want to install a biscuit jack, the kind that is usually mounted on the wall, on the end of the cord. Then you can use a standard modular cord (plugs on both ends) to connect the biscuit jack to your existing telephone line jack.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

The North H-series bases usually have a date stamped on the inside.  If your phone has the frequency ringer as the bottom indicates, it will not likely ring on a standard phone line.

Larry