News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 410

Started by Waterland, April 13, 2012, 01:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterland

On my way through an occasional sale that I pass through every month, I saw this telephone sitting alone on a desk.  No price tag so I asked at the counter and they told me $28.  Sold.  I'm still relatively new to phone collecting so I thought it was a regular 302 at first, but I had never seen one with a switch for two lines before.  I did a little research and have found that is in fact a 410.  From what I understand, this is a fairly uncommon phone, not like the regular thermoplastic 302's. 

I'm very excited for this phone, I've been looking for a 302 or similar for a long time now, so I plan to have this restored to working order to use in my home as a regular telephone.  Overall it's in pretty decent condition; the finger wheel is bent but it turns smoothly, however, the action when it rotors back is kind of sticky.  The rubber cord on the handset is intact with no frays or kinks, as is the wall cord.  I'll have my phone guy look it over and restore it to its former glory for me.

I have attached a picture; I would love to hear comments on rarity of this phone, or how much these usually sell for.  I couldn't find any on ebay when I search for Western Electric 410, or any 410's erroneously labelled as 302's.

paul-f

Welcome to the forum and to phone collecting!

From your one photo, the phone seems to be in very nice condition.

I generally stay away from value discussions, as each price is a negotiation between buyer and seller.  Even on ebay prices for seemingly identical phones can differ by orders of magnitude on the same day.  Given the economic uncertainty over the last few years, prices have been all over the map.  A patient collector can usually find a bargain, even in relatively scarce phones.

I must agree that compared to the basic 302 a 410 is relatively scarce.  That said, they were production phones that were undoubtedly made in quantities of hundreds of thousands, if not over a million.  There are still quite a few out there.

One thing that makes yours especially nice is the number card with the graphics for the line key positions.

Congratulations on a great find.

In case you haven't found it yet, there's a page highlighting the variations of phones made in the 300-series here:
  http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan

I have one in my office. My business has two lines. You can wire it to ring on one line, but not two. The switch will allow you to turn the knob and talk on line two if one is busy or vice versa. The girls hate the loud bells, but I always know when line two needs to be answered or when we get a fax! I got this phone and a black mushroom in a package deal for $200, so your price you paid is excellent!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Waterland

Thanks for the input.  The dial card was something that caught my eye right away; I'm glad it is still present and intact.

I have seen your site Paul, in fact it is where I learned that my phone is a 410.

The phone is in great condition.  There are no cracks in the body or receiver and all cords are intact.   The only issues I see are the bent finger wheel, sticky dial, and a small cigarette burn on the back of the case.  I don't think it will take much to get this phone back in service again.  I want it looking like new though, I'm sure my phone repair guy can make it happen.

I'm really excited about acquiring more phones now, unfortunately they seem to be few and far between in my area.

Waterland

Quote from: Dan on April 13, 2012, 09:31:01 PM
I got this phone and a black mushroom in a package deal for $200, so your price you paid is excellent!

I thought 28 was a great price considering most 302's I've seen were being sold for $100 or more.

What's a black mushroom?

paul-f

Quote from: Waterland on April 13, 2012, 09:43:51 PM

I'm really excited about acquiring more phones now, unfortunately they seem to be few and far between in my area.

Luckily there's the forum, phone shows and ebay.  If you find yourself in New England, bring a truck and stop by!  Send me a private message or email for details.

- - -

A black mushroom is a 500U set.  It's a hot topic of conversation on the forum.  Search for 500U and you'll find lots of info and photos.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Babybearjs

good catch! I have 3 of these and love them! take care of your find! I love these phones becuse they were so well built! ans simple to repair. congrats on your find! its well worth a good $200.00!
John

Waterland

I dropped the phone off at the repair place today, they were really impressed with it.  Should be back in a couple of days all shiny and new looking ready to plug in and use, can't wait to hear it ring and dial out with it!

Babybearjs

remember, the turn switch is also a pushbutton for a buzzer. the phone can be wired with a 6 conductor cord if the buzzer circuit is to be used. otherwise a 4 conductor cord will work fine.
John

Greg G.

That knob for switching lines is just like the one on the 49-500 in the Communication Museum in Seattle.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

The knob on my 410 is clear plastic just like the ones you usually find on 500 series.

Larry