"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another What Is It?

Started by Adam, June 23, 2011, 01:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert C

Hi Adam and Terry,

Terry you are right... I had forgot the correct term.  I googled half ringer, clicked images and there they were... with specifications yet.

I guess then, that technically, it is the electrical equivalent to half of a mechanical ringer.

Good call.

Robert

AE_Collector

Quote from: Robert C on June 27, 2011, 10:58:32 PM
I guess then, that technically, it is the electrical equivalent to half of a mechanical ringer.

Good call.

Robert

You solved it, your decription just helped me recall the correct term for it.

I wonder if it would be electrically equivilent to half a ringer or a whole ringer? It might be called a half ringer because it doesn't have the mechanical half, only the electrical half of a full ringer. Just thinking out loud....

Welcome to the Rotary Forum by the way!

Terry

Adam

Well, golly!  It's a half-ringer network!  Pictures in Google, even!  (See below.)  Sure looks a lot like mine, doesn't it?

(My earlier supposition of the name dummy-ringer was based on the dummy-load that ham radio operators use to simulate an antenna on a transmitter.)

Mystery officially solved!  Thanks, guys!
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Adam

By the way, here's a page all about the little beasts:

http://pre-wire.tripod.com/id13.html
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

dsk

Adam

Very cool.  Thanks for finding that!  The schematic for the half-ringer network in that document is exactly what I reversed-engineered for mine:
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Wallphone

In response to Terry & others wondering why it was called a Half Ringer, my guess is because it puts a 0.5 REN load on the line. < http://tinyurl.com/6z6o434 >
Doug Pav

AE_Collector

That sounds like a likely possibility Doug.

Terry

bingster

I'm confused.  Do a resistor, capacitor, and two diodes in series make a noise?
= DARRIN =

Adam

Not if you're in the forest and nobody is around.

But seriously, this thing is not designed to make a noise at all, and in fact, does not.  It is designed to simulate what a ringer looks like on the line from the other end of the line, in other words, the CO.  Testers in the CO used to look for a ringer on the line to test if a line was OK, but then a line with no phone on it, or later, worse, an electronic ringer with no Ringer Equivalence, the line couldn't be tested in the old way.  Hence adding this ringer simulator to the customer end of the line just aided in CO line testing.
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

bingster

Ahh, I understand now.  Thanks for the explanation.
= DARRIN =

dsk

In Norway the solved it in another way. Each old 3 prong outlethad a 380kΩ resistor shunting the line. This had 2 functions, the possibility of measuring, (and billing for a number of outlets, rarely done) (It was a limited number of parallel outlets without a line switching device.) and the other function, keeping a sealing current making the line less noisy if it was a bad splice somewere.

dsk