and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

500 ADM

Started by billpayer, October 15, 2011, 10:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billpayer

Does anyone know if a rotary 500 ADM set can be wired to work on
a residential line? I think they were made for use behind a key system
but I have a new one in a box that is out of work !

paul-f

Welcome to the forum!

A quick look at the wiring diagram in the TCI Library shows there are apparently more than enough parts and contacts to wire the phone for residential use.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=2895&Itemid=2

Compare that with the wiring diagram for a 500D and use the terminals on the terminal strip to make the appropriate connections.

The 500 ADM is unusual enough that it may make sense to keep it as is and get a 500DM for your residential use.  If you do modify it, hopefully you'll do it in a manner that can be reversed, should you ever decide you'd rather have a 500ADM.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

billpayer

Thanks for the tip. I haven't tinkered with phones in years but I just love the "dial style"
and since I'm holding my land line to the bitter end it feels right to have a black rotary set on the end of it!

paul-f

You're welcome.

You didn't mention your technical background in your first post.  If the wiring diagrams are Greek to you or you run into any challenges, let us know.

You'll find lots of helpful folks here who share your passion for having at least one (or a hundred  ;D) working rotary phones on a POTS line.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

billpayer

I worked in data installation for 18 years. That was about a hundred years ago it seems!
I happened to find phone stuff I collected in my attic and thought I could put it to use and learn a little at the same time - I never had to wander past tip & ring on the instrument side of the network. I feel like I missed some real fun!