News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another Pioneer turntable - PL-720...

Started by twocvbloke, October 03, 2014, 04:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Seems I may be coming down with the turntable-equivalent of Telephonitis, as I bought myself another turntable, because it was there, a Pioneer PL-720 with docked tails... ;D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361066834509
(£16.76 with £7.99 P&P)

Initially I just wanted it for parts to fix up my PL-300 and to put an original Pioneer lid on my PL-400, but thinking about it, it would be far simpler just to replace the cut wires with the ones from the PL-300 and clean it up (but the PL-400 still gets the lid!!), then I'll have a pair of automatic turntables, not that I need two, but the 300 and 400 have an S-arm and the 720 has a straight arm, so, something for me to compare I guess... ;D

The PL-720 appears to have it's original cartridge too, though it may end up removed and replaced with an Audio Technica cartridge of some description, but we shall see... :)

The seller's worth bookmarking for those of us in the UK, as they sometimes have telephones for sale (they have some right now actually, but I haven't the money for them), they're just a general e-waste recycler/reseller it seems... :)

Anyway, the obligatories:

twocvbloke

People in the UK, don't use Citylink, simple as that... ::)

It took all this time for the thing to be delivered cos the mentioned company delivered my turntable to the wrong address (right house number, right street name, wrong village!!), been calling them since Friday to get it here, and it finally turned up this evening (along with another package they declared as "lost" in August that was at the same address!!!), I'm glad I have it now, but, it feels "tainted" now as I'll be reminded of that screwup from now on... ::)

Anyway, I replaced the docked tails, powered it up, works perfectly, the only issue is it doesn't auto-return at the end of a record so that needs checking (and boy do I not want to check it as it's a right pain to open up!!), but as it is, it plays nicely, the old Pioneer cartridge works well, and it's just a nice turntable, not as nice as my PL-400, but can't have everything...  ;D