News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pink Stromberg Carlson 1543

Started by HarrySmith, June 13, 2019, 03:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

You don't see the SC 1543 in colors too often so I thought I would post this one in case there is a SC collector who needs this color for the collection. Price seems high to me but he is taking offers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273888252338 ( dead link 06-16-21 )
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Price is high. It is more than 2x what I would pay.

I recently  paid $180 delivered for a 2-tone brown SC1543 . It was higher than I wanted to pay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Mahogany-2-Tone-Stromberg-Carlson-1543-Rotary-Dial-Desk-Set-Telephone/163711959090
( dead link 06-16-21 )
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

Screenshot with price just for future ref.  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RotarDad

Wow, Jim, that two-tone brown is really striking!  Is that a factory-built set?  The black and brown go together very nicely and the condition is nearly perfect.  Seems like a good value to me, price-wise, as I don't remember ever seeing a brown SC set like this, but I'm sure you can educate us.
Paul

Jim Stettler

I haven't really examined it close yet, I have not checked any dates.  I think the early color sets came in the same 2-tone combo's as WE. I seem to recall seeing a color ad showing them. Plus it is a lot cheaper to copy WE colors than to do your own market research.
It is very shiny and a sharp looking set. It shows better in person than in the photo. I feel I got a good value, but it is still more than I really wanted to pay. However, in retrospect I would probably be happy paying that amount at a show.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a thread from 2017. I have a post regarding links to color SC 1543.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17677.msg182555#msg182555

-------------------------------------------------------------
This blurry photo is of a custom set. I think it is factory based on the clear plungers. The dial paint job is very cool.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray K. Sold a homemade clear  SC 1543 w/ black handset and plungers on eBay last week. I did not win.
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,

RotarDad

Thanks Jim.  Carl's (unbeldi) example had a plastic wheel - I prefer yours with the metal wheel.  This is my new favorite color combo.  Since WE never made a two-tone brown 500 set like they did for several other colors, I'd not seen one before.  Makes me want to make my own WE set to see how it looks....

I see yours says "SPECIAL" on the bottom- is that a reference to the two-tone color scheme?
Paul

Western Bell

Seller added internal images to the eBay listing for the phone that started this topic showing a replaced ringer and the original housing color and a stapled bezel o-ring.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273888252338 ( dead link 06-16-21 )

Jim Stettler

Quote from: RotarDad on June 15, 2019, 03:48:05 AM

I see yours says "SPECIAL" on the bottom- is that a reference to the two-tone color scheme?
I am not sure what "SPECIAL" is referencing. I think I have seen that stamp before on other 1543's including black. I would like to check my other 1543's. I have some in color, but I don't remember which colors.
The rest of my 1543's are stored away, and the front of the storage is blocked by too much stuff from the remodeling  and wedding projects. Unless it gets really rainy, I probably won't deal with the space until Winter. I was an outdoor kid, and still need to be outdoors as much as the weather permits.
Jim

Side note regarding 1543 handset cords: The proper ones are specific to the 1543's. They have a short section of straight cord at each end. The sets look nicer if the cord is proper.
You live, You learn,