News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How many of you actually use your antique phones?

Started by BDM, September 21, 2008, 04:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, how many are actually using their phones?

I have no modern phones
several at any given moment
Maybe one hooked up, when I'm in the mood
Hardly ever. Besides, they scare the kids
Heck no! Are you kidding? Display only!!

ESalter

My girlfriend likes the old phones, so in our apartment right now are(all WE): a green 2554, a red 2500, a blue 2702, and a 302 on my computer desk.  The 302 rang so loud I had to disconnect the ringer, it even got on my nerves!  When I still lived at home I had a red round button Trimline in my room, I loved the lighted dial on that phone.

deedubya3800

Since I answered this question, my answer has changed.

I don't use my 1970 SC 500 anymore because I decided I don't like the feel of the fingerwheel. It feels like it's trying to twist my fingertip off when I dial on it.

I don't use my 1956 WE 500 because I bought it primarily to work on and use to illustrate the 5302 story.

I use the mess out of my 1954 WE 302. I'll even move it with me from room to room because it is just my favorite phone to use! I like that it still looks good, but it's nowhere near museum quality, so I don't feel bad about using it. :)

My 1946/60 WE 5302 still has its permanent home on my desk in my office, and I use it whenever I'm in there.

But my ivory 1942 WE 302 is not for use, except for testing it or showing it to someone. Other than that, its home is going to be in a display case once I get one. Until then, it's wrapped in cloth in a plastic shoebox in the closet. 8)

elmwood

Yup, I use them, but also keep a cordless on hand.  I like antique and vintage items that I can actually use on a day-to-day basis, rather than just have sit there and look pretty. I like the contrast of a desk that has a 22" LCD monitor and a new PC or Mac, with a 40 or 50 year old telephone sitting beside it.  Then again, if I had hundreds of phones, yup, I'd build the shelves in the basement and geek out.  :D

I do wish there was an inexpensive way to silence a ringer, though, without physically disconnecting it.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: elmwood on November 09, 2010, 05:00:46 PM
Then again, if I had hundreds of phones, yup, I'd build the shelves in the basement and geek out.  :D

I do wish there was an inexpensive way to silence a ringer, though, without physically disconnecting it.

I wonder if a "polarity guard" (bridge rectifier) placed across the line of the phones that you want non ringing would work., it would block the AC ring signal .

Just a thought,
Jim

I
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

"But my ivory 1942 WE 302 is not for use, except for testing it or showing it to someone. Other than that, its home is going to be in a display case once I get one. Until then, it's wrapped in cloth in a plastic shoebox in the closet."

Speaking of your beautiful 42 Ivory 302, there is a Great Early Ivory 5J on eBay dated II 41 that would look fantastic on your phone. It would really be perfect for it......Doug

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270658453852&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Kidphone

bingster

Quote from: elmwood on November 09, 2010, 05:00:46 PMI do wish there was an inexpensive way to silence a ringer, though, without physically disconnecting it.

If you're talking about a 500 set, there is:
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

Currently I have a 151Al candlestick in the hallway, a B-1 in the living room, a matching date 1938 302 w celluloid dial plate in the bedroom, a 1956 500 with 1963 pink color change set including the soft-centered dial in the baby's room, and an 80s era  trim-line that I use for touch-tone calls in the basement.  The 1956 554 in the kitchen (aka FIOS-slayer) is unplugged.  All of the phones are fully functional although I have the ringer detached on some to keep the REN low (and not wake the baby).  I use each one of them on a daily basis. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

deedubya3800

Quote from: Kidphone on November 09, 2010, 05:56:14 PM

Quote from: deedubya3800 on October 16, 2010, 07:06:28 PM
But my ivory 1942 WE 302 is not for use, except for testing it or showing it to someone. Other than that, its home is going to be in a display case once I get one. Until then, it's wrapped in cloth in a plastic shoebox in the closet. 8)

Speaking of your beautiful 42 Ivory 302, there is a Great Early Ivory 5J on eBay dated II 41 that would look fantastic on your phone. It would really be perfect for it......Doug

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270658453852&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Yes, I saw that this morning. Somehow, I just like the brushed metal fingerwheel on mine. It is a 5J, but the fingerwheel just looks unique. I'm sure there are others like it out there, but pre-war colors are so rare to begin with they're probably not easy to find. I'll eventually have a post-war ivory set, and perhaps a post-war red as well (my grandparents had one once, long before I was around), and I'm sure that'll have a clear finger wheel. :)

Doug Rose

Ivory 5J dial dated II/41 for $25? It was a deal. Not too long ago a 5J was getting close to $100......Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

You're right Doug.  A couple of years ago I bought a pair of 5J dials from eBay.  The selling price was just over $100, plus shipping.  So this was half that price.  I'd have to pull them out to see how the dates compare to this recent sale.  I haven't used either one of them.  I grabbed them at that price for future use.  I guess I should have waited.

deedubya3800

Is there a meaningful difference between the pre-war and post-war 5J dials, other than the date itself? I don't know the date, but I still know where there's a perfectly serviceable 5J mounted to a metal 302 shell that's just screaming, "Strip me down and fill in this hole in my head!"

If it weren't for the fact that my ivory is a pre-war (technically, early-war) original, I'd be so tempted to buy it, strip the metal shell down, and swap the fingerwheels so that I'd have an all-bare-metal 302, which I think would be so pretty!

elmwood

Quote from: bingster link=topic=102.msg49926#msg49926
If you're talking about a 500 set, there is:
/quote]

Awesome.  Thanks!

Greg G.

I change my in-use phones now and then.  Looking at this thread again, I realized the 4 in use were all black, so changed at least one.  I have one by my recliner I just swapped out for the beige 59-500, I have my 1930 Hotel phone on the wall in the hallway.

In my "man cave"/bedroom/workshop, I have my 56-500 black that I acquired my land line number from, and by the head of my bed I have the 5302 I just got done messing with.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

My current working phone in my phone room is a mahogany North Galion.  I can't believe how heavy the handset it, it feels twice the weight of an F1. As well as a WE 305 with the ringer off.  I have a WE 306 our bedroom as it does not ring....Doug
Kidphone

deedubya3800

Quote from: Brinybay on November 14, 2010, 04:27:18 PM
...and by the head of my bed I have the 5302 I just got done messing with.

Just got done? So did you get the problems solved on it? Or is this a different 5302?