News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1951 500 and B1 w/ #2HA

Started by Craig T, May 21, 2011, 10:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig T

Found these guys at an auction today that ran over 9 hours. These two phones were there and a couple modular phones. I was excited when I seen it, the round base and finger stop instantly gave it away.

It was about 6 hours into this auction that they finally came up. The 500 set is dated 7-51 throughout, except for the case; 2 11 54. No subset for the B1 and I did not see one in the next 2-3 hours either. This 500 has a PhD from P.U. What a moldy phone, white all over inside and just plain stinks, not the typically pleasant tenite odor. Happy to have it, but it will need a lot of care. Has a 7A in it.

Ed D

Quote from: Craig T on May 21, 2011, 10:37:07 PM
Found these guys at an auction today that ran over 9 hours.

Wow!  That auction must have been exhausted!!!   ;D

Nice phones!  Please post photos of the clean-up as it progresses.

Ed

JorgeAmely

Craig:

I'll trade that stinky 500 for a nice 500 from 1981 I have in my garage.  ;)
Jorge

Craig T

Quote from: JorgeAmely on May 21, 2011, 10:58:50 PM
Craig:

I'll trade that stinky 500 for a nice 500 from 1981 I have in my garage.  ;)

Jorge, Haven't you heard about the telephone embargo between Michigan and California :)

Craig T

Quote from: Ed D on May 21, 2011, 10:42:08 PM
Quote from: Craig T on May 21, 2011, 10:37:07 PM
Found these guys at an auction today that ran over 9 hours.

Wow!  That auction must have been exhausted!!!   ;D

Nice phones!  Please post photos of the clean-up as it progresses.

Ed

I was ready to leave after the first few hours, but I knew I had to stick it out and try for it anyhow. This has some light rust, but should clean up nice.

Does anyone know, was the MADE IN THE USA just on the early #2 dial bodies? I seen that on the beautiful A3 auction phone, I don't have that one either of mine.

LarryInMichigan

Craig,

Nice catches!  That B1 with the #2 dial will need an E1 handset.  Let's keep the good phones in Michigan :)

Larry

Phonesrfun

What kind of network does the 1951 500 have in it?  Does it have the older 425A network with the separate equalizer?
-Bill G

Dan

Sorrry Craig, I had to ask--what did you pay?

I love any old 500 with a straight cord.

Those extra long auctions always seem to do the table last that has the items on it that I want. Sometimes it is worth waiting them out, as most of the people
have long left.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Vern P

CONGRATS !!! on the good find's.  The 500 should have the early network, not sure when the change was made.

On the B1, is the card holder the early nickel one ? It look like it.   Yes this shoulld have a E1 hs.  I didn't sell all of mine at the KS show. I will offer 1 for $40 shipped.  (normal price is $35 +ship)

As for long auction, been there, done that.

Vern P

PS Still looking for an Ivory 1554.

Shovelhead

FEderal was the exchange in Pontiac Michigan. So, metro area auction?

Craig T

Quote from: Phonesrfun on May 22, 2011, 12:47:45 PM
What kind of network does the 1951 500 have in it?  Does it have the older 425A network with the separate equalizer?

Larry, thank you, I agree we need to stop all exportation of Bell phones from the State of Michigan :)

Bill the 1951 has the early network and equalizer in it. I was excited, my previous oldest is from 1953, a little too new for the equalizer. I had a 1951 7A dial I have been saving, but was happy to find the same installed in the phone.

Dan, It was worth the wait, but I was dreading having to take the walk of shame back to the car if someone paid more for it. Further, the Affiant sayeth not  :)

Vern, thank you, this does have the nickel center on it. It is gonna be a while until I get into this one, so it can wait for now.

Quote from: Shovelhead on May 22, 2011, 07:03:31 PM
FEderal was the exchange in Pontiac Michigan. So, metro area auction?

This was bought in Northern Michigan. Larry and Dennis don't let me buy phones any further South than Indian River  ;)

Dennis Markham

If that's what you're finding up there in the north country, you're better off buying them there!  Very nice.  That B1 will look great with an E1 handset.

Craig T

Quote from: Dennis Markham on May 22, 2011, 10:09:02 PM
If that's what you're finding up there in the north country, you're better off buying them there!  Very nice.  That B1 will look great with an E1 handset.

Thanks Dennis, I was real happy to add it to the shelf. I agree, a new handset and cord will be in store for this.

Doug Rose

"I was real happy to add it to the shelf."

Shelf will plural itself rather quickly. Real nice pickup.

A seamless E1  with seamless caps is the appropriate handset for this beauty...Doug
Kidphone

Craig T

Quote from: Doug Rose on May 23, 2011, 11:14:14 AM
"I was real happy to add it to the shelf."

Shelf will plural itself rather quickly. Real nice pickup.

A seamless E1  with seamless caps is the appropriate handset for this beauty...Doug

Thanks Doug, I am overdue for another shelf and I will have to bump one to fit this phone on the shelf. I will get them cleaned off at least this weekend. Go Bulls!