News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interesting Items - Mastercrafters Clock

Started by AET, March 02, 2009, 12:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellen

Oh, I guess I could have looked myself and see it says Bristol, Conn.  New England used to be a manufacturing region - brass, textiles, clocks, jewellery, all kinds of stuff.  That was good for the people but bad for the environment.  Kind of hard to choose. 

Steve K

AET

That is definately a Nash Metropolitan, a 57 or there abouts. 

There is also a version of this clock, which was inspired  by a bottle of goldschlager, and sometimes they come up on eBay too.  They are worth a lot more than mine is.  Mine I'd expect 25 to 30 bucks out of.  The gold pieces in the tubes on either side of the clock float around when they get warm.  It's a pretty neat effect as well.

http://www.roger-russell.com/mastrpg/masact2.jpg

I'm still looking for a nice big starburst clock at the yardsales, as most people find them gaudy and it should probably go cheap!
- Tom

HobieSport

Two clocks that made impressions on me as a child (early 60s) was our family clock, a 24 hour U.S. Navy clock from WW2 that my father had.  It was very similar to the one pictured below, except that it had all 24 hours in the same row around the dial.  I'm pretty sure it was a Chelsea.  It was very well made and precise.

Then on another side of a spectrum, our family doctor had a Kit Cat Clock in his waiting room, which both frightened and fascinated me an a wee lad, just like some of those creepy old cartoons from the 1930s. :o

AET

Oh boy, that's like a lot of 1800s advertising.  IT's almost death-like, yet I'm fascinated by the old advertising and lithographs and such.  I saw one at the Columbus Antique Mall for a grain mill or something with these lifeless looking little kids on it, almost horror-movie like but yet it was so interesting that I wanted to buy the darn thing.
- Tom

mienaichizu

I also got my Mastercrafters clock, not yet tested it if it still works and some parts are missing.

AET

- Tom

mienaichizu

the base is missing, only the clock face and the mechanical stuffs remains. I'll see if I can do anything to make a stand for it

McHeath

Now that's cool, we have a member with this clock in the US and in the Philippines as well!

bingster

A base should be really easy to make.  Just cut a groove in the top of a block of wood and call it done.
= DARRIN =

mienaichizu

thanks McHeath, when I first seen this on sale, I immediately remember Tom's clock so I bought it. Now all I want if I can make this thing work again

mienaichizu

Quote from: bingster on March 12, 2009, 01:18:45 AM
A base should be really easy to make.  Just cut a groove in the top of a block of wood and call it done.

Nice idea bingster, I'll see what else can I do

HobieSport

Quote from: McHeath
Now that's cool, we have a member with this clock in the US and in the Philippines as well!

And with our new member, Contaste, from London, we are becoming a bit of an international rotary phone forum, if I may say.  It's great to get different perspective from folks and phones from all over.  Now all we need is a member from the European mainland to help us find all those great Denkens and other great European phones.  So far my only European phone is a cool Dutch PTT. 8)

mienaichizu

well, lets hope that someone from the European mainland finds us

AET

Quote from: mienaichizu on March 12, 2009, 01:20:28 AM
thanks McHeath, when I first seen this on sale, I immediately remember Tom's clock so I bought it. Now all I want if I can make this thing work again

All that was wrong with mine was the two wire nuts inside were loose, I hope that's all what's wrong with yours.
- Tom