"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITT 500 Constant Dialtone on 'Modified' phone

Started by putts, June 23, 2013, 05:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

putts

Hey all, new guy here

I saved this phone from a church that used it to broadcast their radio services. Not exactly sure how they had it configured but there is a phono(RCA) out on the back, an "Off" and "Transmit" switch on the base (The switch sent the signal to the RCA connector) and a momentary switch on the handset. I disconnected the switch on the handset and wired it up correctly (I think) but, the base is a bit more troublesome.  I traced the 'modifications' on the base and disconnected those but, can't figure out how to correctly connect everything inside. All of the wiring diagrams for the 500 that I found were screw posts and these are tabs which don't seem to exactly line up with the screw posts on the WE but, are very similar.

The phone has a dialtone when connected but, upon dialing, nothing happens...it just continues to sound the dialtone.

Model: 50045MBA20M284 | 500 45 MBA 20 M 2 84

rdelius

Do you hear the tones from the key pad when dialing?. I modified lots of these sets as you described  for radio remote broadcasts.handset switch was to turn off the transmitter to keep unwanted noise out. the RCA audio feed was uasually fed through a small transformer to the transmitter connections on the network.You might try reversing the red and green line wires but your set looks rather new so it might have polarity guard so it should dial