News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Schmoo on ebay pre trimline

Started by Jim Stettler, June 29, 2020, 08:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1959-60-SHMOO-TELEPHONE-Bell-Field-trial-New-Jersey-LIL-ABNER-/124233362405
tinyurl https://tinyurl.com/y9w89gg6
( dead links 06-03-21 )

Sold for $767.97
Seller's description:

Rare Shmoo Telephone. Phone named for its shape, which resemble a Shmoo  who is a character from the Lil Abner Comic Strip. The dial shows some staining and some green tarnish underneath dial. When you dial, it stops briefly going back then continues to its set positions(happens mostly when dialing the higher numbers). It probably just needs cleaning or oiled. Phone is untested. The cord has a couple of splits in the outer plastic covering.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

More photos.
NOTE: 2 red conductors in handset cord.
You live, You learn,

paul-f

Thanks for posting this, Jim.

It provides an unusual opportunity to see what's under the cork bottom mat (missing on this set).

Unfortunately, the model number was stamped on the mat, so we don't know which version was sold.

<edit> The outline from the missing cork pad suggests it was probably a F-53273.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

This guy looks like he saw some action! I thought they were a trial set that evolved quickly into the Trimline. Any info on these sets is appreciated....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Doug Rose on June 29, 2020, 02:03:00 PM
This guy looks like he saw some action!
I heard a rumor once that these were also called "Bowling pin" phones and some of them ended up in bowling alleys after the trials.

Just a rumor,
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Jim Stettler on June 29, 2020, 03:00:02 PM
I heard a rumor once that these were also called "Bowling pin" phones and some of them ended up in bowling alleys after the trials.

Just a rumor,
Jim

Assuming this rumor is true. Where was the bowling alley that started the rumor?
NJ and/or Indy (my guesses).
Why would the bowling alley  know about the phones and be able to get one?

It makes you wonder  where Bell Labs, Murray Hill NJ's  bowling league played as a home alley?

Something to think about,
Jim

You live, You learn,

Key2871

I spent a lot of time in bowling alleys when I was a kid, 500s and 554s and three sloters were all I remember seeing that was 62 to about 66..
KEN

Vern P

I found one of these at the swap meet for $3, many years ago. Didn't know what it was at the time. Here in SLC, UT.

Jim Stettler

You brought it to Colorado to show me.

Here is a photo and thread of Phonesrfun holding it.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12135.msg128531#msg128531
Jim
You live, You learn,