News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

And another 2500 added to the pot...

Started by twocvbloke, March 24, 2012, 01:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Very much an impulse buy this one, I only found it last night, and it was sitting there all bright red and talking to me, so, I put in a bid and it's now mine.... ;D

Seems to be another Northern Telecom model, with AT&T branding, don't know any more than that, so here's the link and a picture...  :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160764768394

Tom B

I was watching this phone to see what it would go for. £21.00 is an ok price. I have a beige ITT 2500 which I got off eBay for £5 and £5 shipping.
Tom

twocvbloke

Red phones always seem to go for more money, dunno why... :D

And in total it's only about 99p more than I paid for the black 2500... :)

And I just realised, I now have red & black 500s and red & black 2500s, kind of an evolutionary thing, from rotary to push button, just need the 1500s in the middle (though the likelihood of them turning up in the UK at an affordable price is minimal!!)... ;D

Tom B

An aqua 1500 sold on eBay UK for £43.00 recently

Tom

twocvbloke

hehe, I must have missed that one then... :D

Bit too pricey for my pocket though... ;D

twocvbloke

You know, I only just gave the pictures a good looking over, and noticed it's been modularised, good thing that I have a red RJ11-to-BT cable (seeing as I bought two when I needed one for the Cortelco), still, I like them either way... :D

twocvbloke

Oh deary me, it's arrived, and it's not looking too happy...  :(

The AT&T case & handset (most likely not original as it's marked as 84, the rest of the phone is 73) are pretty abused, the handset cable has been superglued(!!!) into the handset's RJ10 socket, and the other end has no clip at all, the phone shell is cracked in many places (and you can see marbling from a contaminated injection moulding machine!!), one of the hookswitch buttons has fractures running through it, and the dial surround just looks, well, awful... :o

Inside the modularised phone is fine, the bells have a different note to them, but that's about it, just needs a cleaning up in there...  :D

I think I may borrow the Cortelco's handset to test this one, I don't trust that superglue, it'll probably have destroyed the socket enough without me trying to wrench out the plug.... :D

twocvbloke

Right, pictures time, took them yesterday but I was half asleep so forgot to upload them... :D

First & second are the superglued handset cable (now freed, with some socket damage sadly), the handset works fine, and the transmitter interestingly is the oldest part in the entire phone, being made in '63!!! :D

Third, the back of the case where the plastic contamination marbling is more obvious, had to fiddle with the contrast to make it more visible in the picture, and of course, one of the cracks in the case, caused by a previous line socket breaking and being superglued(!!!) to the case, and a remnant of it being stuck behind the replacement causing pressure on the case from the inside, and of course, a crack... ::)

Fourth, the fractured plunger, there's two fractures in there, the other is where my fingertip is on the other side, the opposite plunger is intact, so probably just a result of AT&T quality parts... :-\

Fifth, fairly obvious, the dial plate doesn't sit straight on the case, the buttons do fit properly though, the case just wasn't fully on in the pic... :D

I forgot to get the internal pics, I'll get them now... ;D

twocvbloke

And the guts pics... :D

Tom B

Tom

twocvbloke

A project indeed...  :D

I think I may try to source replacement Northern or Western electric plastics, as in the shell, dial surround, handset, etc, the AT&T parts just feel so cheap, and that marbling is getting to me, doesn't look nice at all... :-\

Still, like I said before, the guts of the thing are great, absolutely nothing up with those, it's just the facade that lets it down... :D