News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anybody know luggage?

Started by Greg G., January 08, 2012, 09:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

These were found in my girlfriend's attic as we were sorting and clearing out decades of "stuff".  Made in Canada by Skyway, vintage unknown, but I'm guessing 70s.  Initially they went in the "take to thrift store" pile, but they kept catching my eye so I thought I'd do a little research on them.  Trying to find out if they're worth bothering to try to sell or put them back in the thrift store pile.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

I don't know about their value, but they certainly won't get confused with someone else's luggage at the baggage claim!

-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

Those suitcases would go well with a loud Hawaiian shirt and one of those funny hats ;D

I wonder of they were made in the early to late 1970s.

I would hold onto them.  Severely dated things like that seem to be in vogue these days.  Bright orange phones sell well.

Larry

GG

Though, I wouldn't take them on airplane trips.  They might not survive today's relatively rough baggage handling.  Use them for trips by car and by train where you can handle your own luggage.  (Or you may find they can be sold for a high price somewhere.)

Greg G.

Quote from: GG on January 09, 2012, 07:49:08 AM

Though, I wouldn't take them on airplane trips.  They might not survive today's relatively rough baggage handling.  Use them for trips by car and by train where you can handle your own luggage.  (Or you may find they can be sold for a high price somewhere.)

She would definitely agree to the train trip idea, she loves trains!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bwanna

Hi guys! Long time to see  :o

I am a fiend for old luggage! Drive the better half crazy buying suitcases at auctions & estate sales. They are great for storage & usually cheaper than the plastic storage bins. I have a nice leather case circa 1920's that i use as a briefcase. Some people stack 2 or 3 to use as a side table.

Greg, I'm sure yours are '70's vintage. The orange color is way cool. Probably not worth a fortune. Your gal would be a most stylish traveler with this luggage. Perfect accessory for a railway trip.

BTW.. the fat yarn tied on the handle was all the rage for hair ties when I was young.  :D
donna

Owain

Quote from: bwanna on January 23, 2012, 09:12:08 PM

BTW.. the fat yarn tied on the handle was all the rage for hair ties when I was young.  :D

I guess so many people had orange cases back then, some blue yarn would mean you didn't pick up the wrong case!

Dan

I have an old polaroid from 1976 with our family all loaded up standing next to a 1975 Pontiac Grand Safari Wagon with our orange suitcases packed in the back. EXACT same ones as you have listed.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

JorgeAmely

Jorge

bwanna

Hi Jorge...Lot's of new names here. Still feels like a good place to be :D
donna

stub

Donna,
           Glad to see you back!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Quote from: bwanna on January 23, 2012, 09:12:08 PM
Hi guys! Long time to see  :o

I am a fiend for old luggage! Drive the better half crazy buying suitcases at auctions & estate sales. They are great for storage & usually cheaper than the plastic storage bins. I have a nice leather case circa 1920's that i use as a briefcase. Some people stack 2 or 3 to use as a side table.

Greg, I'm sure yours are '70's vintage. The orange color is way cool. Probably not worth a fortune. Your gal would be a most stylish traveler with this luggage. Perfect accessory for a railway trip.

Now that you mention it, I have a couple large suitcases that I use for storage.  Sorry to say, these went to Goodwill, along with a different set, but the other set we filled with old clothes.  There's still a couple more up there.
- Mike Row
e