News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Ringer

Started by pierced, September 01, 2015, 06:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierced

I'm a newbie and a couple of weeks ago bought an Automatic Electric 40 Monophone with a chrome finger wheel in fantastic condition, at a bargain price. It works like a champ but won't ring, apparently due to a 66hz party line frequency ringer.

If any one has the details on how to modify the ringer so that it functions, I'd be very grateful. Barring that, if anyone has a straight line ringer for an AE 40 at a reasonable price, please let me know. I'm really excited about this phone and would love to see it fully functional.

Thank You,
                                                                                                                Dave Pierce

Phonesrfun

Dave:

Welcome to the forum. 

66 Hz ringers are not easily modified for 20 Hz use.  You can search the forum, there are tons of posts on the topic.  Straight line ringers for AE40's are getting hard to come by due to the fact that so many AE phones had frequency ringers and so many people have replaced them.  I am not a proponent of trying to modify frequency ringers just because I don't have the patience to fiddle with it, only to get a gimpy ring out of it when I'm done.

Good luck
-Bill G

andre_janew

If you have a second phone hooked up that has a working ringer, then you can let it ring for both phones until you get a straight line ringer for your AE40.

rdelius

If your type 40 set has the later smaller sized ringer, you can use the older type 80 ringer SL parts to rebuild it..Type 40 mount and coils, Type 80 clapper and pivot.Converted many.