News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Caught the Lantern Bug! (plus a somewhat related discussion of LEDs)

Started by AL_as_needed, June 04, 2017, 08:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on June 09, 2017, 01:10:02 AMInteresting!  How many actual LED elements do these things contain?

Well, these particular bulbs I got have 4 filaments of LEDs (1 Watt per filament), and each filament can have about 20-30 LED chips, and the bulbs appear to be wired with all four filaments in series, if they're 25 LEDs per filament, and the chips need say 2.8v to work, that's 280vDC coursing through them, quite a zing if you prod them the wrong way!!  :o

These are the bulbs here:

https://www.banggood.com/ZX-Dimmable-A19-Frosted-Globe-E27-LED-4W-8W-COB-Filament-Chandelier-Pendant-Edison-Light-110V-220V-p-1099086.html

AL_as_needed

Bringing the topic back to the era of burning oil lamps for light, exposed lead/asbestos and all the other things we love about the earlier half of the 1900s..... A cooler and dreary day in the hudson valley, perfect time to indulge a little.....a little wizards.     
TWinbrook7

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: AL_as_needed on June 16, 2017, 07:59:46 PM
Bringing the topic back to the era of burning oil lamps for light, exposed lead/asbestos and all the other things we love about the earlier half of the 1900s..... A cooler and dreary day in the hudson valley, perfect time to indulge a little.....a little wizards.   
Gosh!  What about us mercury thermometers and mercury switches attacking people and having to all be removed and disposed of safely???

AL_as_needed

Oh i have a few of those too, I think they are in the same box as my winter items, gloves, coat, and a prostate warmer... (http://www.museumofquackery.com/devices/prostate.htm) for those really cold nights....
TWinbrook7

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: AL_as_needed on June 16, 2017, 08:44:55 PM
Oh i have a few of those too, I think they are in the same box as my winter items, gloves, coat, and a prostate warmer... (http://www.museumofquackery.com/devices/prostate.htm) for those really cold nights....
LOL!  If this doesn't qualify as "TMI" I can't imagine what would!   :o

AL_as_needed

Suddenly collecting phones and lanterns seems very very normal by comparison. Doubt there are many "blue light special" collectors out there. 
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

Quote from: AL_as_needed on June 16, 2017, 08:44:55 PM

Yeesh, the things people do for personal entertainment eh?  :o

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on June 17, 2017, 04:38:18 AM
Yeesh, the things people do for personal entertainment eh?  :o

Yes, and one knows they have lanternitis when after finishing a newly found lantern discovers they already have one just like it.

The one on the left is one of my 3 daily drivers fueled up and ready to go. The one on the right was hanging in the basement for years, probably one of the first lantern I bought, waiting for a globe. The only difference between these is the one on the right has an original Dietz D-Lite globe, in great condition) and the one on the left has a repro (which is a bit shorter). That makes the top cap a bit higher on the right lantern, the lantern is taller. The one on the left is a '45 and the one on the right a '49. Both from the Syracuse plant and except for the globes, identical twins.

AL_as_needed

Bringing this topic full circle only a few months later....here is how far the lantern-itis has progressed in such a short time. Even the casual viewer will note the wide range of symptoms possible with the condition. At least they all still fit on the desk....for now

-Only one missing is the highway torch, left unlit given its outside only nature.
TWinbrook7

TelePlay

I see a Wizard, a Blizzard, two No 2 D-Lites, a Fire King and a great looking red Fresnel.

Not to hijack your topic, just wanted to add this one to the show and tell of the second life given to restored lanterns.

Been on holiday the past few days but remembered to take a shot of one of the first lanterns I restored sitting on the fireplace manel.

19and41

I guess I'm going to have to latch onto a Dietz to use as a rough service lamp. 
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke