News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this a telephone? part 1

Started by ....., September 28, 2015, 09:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have a chance to pick this up along with some other pieces. The fellow who has this sent me 45 pictures of this and other phone parts. I have no idea of what it is. I'll have to post the pictures in two posts.

Is this a telephone? part 2

NorthernElectric

That looks like something that has been on kijiji for months, at least.  He had some other stuff that was somewhat interesting but I seem to recall, a bit pricey.

I especially like the 'ringer' on that.   ;D
Cliff

Phonesrfun

Telephone, no.  Stuff from a junk box, yes.  Piece of paper with the word "telephone" written on it, yes.
-Bill G

Quote from: NorthernElectric on September 28, 2015, 10:10:37 PM
That looks like something that has been on kijiji for months, at least.  He had some other stuff that was somewhat interesting but I seem to recall, a bit pricey.

I especially like the 'ringer' on that.   ;D

I never seen it on Kijiji, but I did by a metal 302 from him if this is the same guy a few months ago.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14673.0
It was just a shell. When I e-mailed him about it, he apologized and said he would make it up.
He sent me some pictures of some odd phone parts, but never said what he wanted. I send him an e-mail.
He hasn't replied back to me yet.

Jon Kolger

This most certainly is a telephone.  This is a string telephone, like I advertise for every month in the ATCA and TCI newsletters.  String phones are not electrical, as they work merely by means of mechanical vibration.  They are used  in pairs, strictly from point A to point B, like from the house to the barn.  This example is circa late 1880s.  I wrote an article on string telephones back in the 1980s that can be found on the web.  Here is a link for one example of that article:   

http://strowger-net.telefoniemuseum.nl/tel_tech_mechanical.html

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Jon Kolger on September 29, 2015, 11:22:18 AM
This most certainly is a telephone.  This is a string telephone, like I advertise for every month in the ATCA and TCI newsletters.  String phones are not electrical, as they work merely by means of mechanical vibration.  They are used  in pairs, strictly from point A to point B, like from the house to the barn.  This example is circa late 1880s.  I wrote an article on string telephones back in the 1980s that can be found on the web.  Here is a link for one example of that article:   

http://strowger-net.telefoniemuseum.nl/tel_tech_mechanical.html

Very interesting, thank-you.  The seller had it advertised as a 'Strong Telephone' and that's what it appears to say on the handwritten label.  I guess it should have read 'string'?  Perhaps if it had I'd have made the connection, but I had no idea that string telephones were ever commercially manufactured.
Cliff

Yes, thank you. Now the next question is: Is it worth collecting and and what to pay for it?

Doug Rose

I am sure Jon will make you a more than fair offer. Very nice find...Doug
Kidphone

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 29, 2015, 08:13:22 PM
I am sure Jon will make you a more than fair offer. Very nice find...Doug

I never bought it, but it was offered to me. Jon has PMed me and I passed the information on to Jon how to get a hold of the owner of this phone. Now it will be up to him what he does with it.

Stubbypylon

I've seen this on Kijiji for a while.  I contacted the seller but he ddn't seem to interested about negotiating. I'm not familiar with string phone values. but this one is listed on page 27 of Dooners book.
Craig Stanowski