News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1948 Western Electric TT prototype found at estate sale.

Started by Russ Kirk, February 27, 2018, 09:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ Kirk

Just saw this on Facebook. It was found at an estate sale.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jester

I would love to find one.  Any idea how many were made?
Stephen

Doug Rose

Offer to double his money. He has no idea if he is psting on FB
Kidphone

HarrySmith

The person who posted it is a member of the clubs. I think he knows what he has. Do we have any idea what he paid for it?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Russ Kirk

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 27, 2018, 10:05:34 PM
The person who posted it is a member of the clubs. I think he knows what he has. Do we have any idea what he paid for it?

Not yet..
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

paul-f

Quote from: Jester on February 27, 2018, 09:48:49 PM
I would love to find one.  Any idea how many were made?

Not many!

The field trial was with 35 Bell System families. Probably less than 100 made.

http://www.paul-f.com/weprotot.html
http://www.paul-f.com/we1948pb.html
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

Like usual with these old junkers...no star or pound  :o

Terry

Fabius

In the late 1970s I was a central office tech in Northern California and worked as a volunteer for the Telephone Pioneer museum in San Francisco. The museum had two of these phones. I opened them up to look inside and all I saw was mechanical linkage of some sorts. No indication of any electronics that would generate tones. I asked the curator what they were used for and he said they were used on a toll test board. The two phones I examined had a 310 plug as a line cord. Notice in the above picture of the phone under discussion that there  is a 310 plug on the left.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

poplar1

They used tuned reeds rather than electronics.

BellSouth museum in Atlanta had (has?) one of these. I believe AT&T plans to vacate much of the W. Peachtree tower so who knows what will happen to the museum. Last time I went, instead of one of the Pioneers, there was only a rent-a-cop on duty.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dan/Panther

Poplar1's comment about the last one for sale, sold for $18,000.00 on eBay, really got me thinking.  If this phone is worth $18,000.00, and the potential that 35 to 100 were made, makes me wonder why My pre-production 500, was estimated to be worth around $2,000.00. My phone has many components that many had never seen before, variations of components that were updated before production started, and no one has come up with even as much as an original photo of one. However the phone does match patent drawing going back to 1947 or maybe earlier.  In my opinion it may be the ONLY one in existence. Shouldn't it be worth a little more, and if not why not. Even Mo's picture phone went for $45,000.00, and there were several made. I don't get it.

Yes I'm Whining a bit.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AE_Collector

Mo's picture phone went for $25k...or $22k...somewhere in there. Carry on....(whining)....

Terry

HarrySmith

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 01, 2018, 02:43:44 PM
Mo's picture phone went for $25k...or $22k...somewhere in there. Carry on....(whining)....

Terry

$21,433.67 to be exact.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 01, 2018, 12:51:18 PM
Poplar1's comment about the last one for sale, sold for $18,000.00 on eBay, really got me thinking.  If this phone is worth $18,000.00, and the potential that 35 to 100 were made, makes me wonder why My pre-production 500, was estimated to be worth around $2,000.00. My phone has many components that many had never seen before, variations of components that were updated before production started, and no one has come up with even as much as an original photo of one. However the phone does match patent drawing going back to 1947 or maybe earlier.  In my opinion it may be the ONLY one in existence. Shouldn't it be worth a little more, and if not why not. Even Mo's picture phone went for $45,000.00, and there were several made. I don't get it.

Yes I'm Whining a bit.

D/P

You also have to realize that, in the broader spectrum, the picturephone and TT prototypes were bigger steps than the 500 prototype. The 500 had all new components, but the function or use of those components wasn't too different from the 302 it replaced. A museum would KILL to have examples of prototype "stepping stone" technology, like Touch Tone and Video Phone. It's more historically important than a prototype of a phone model.

That being said, your phone is worth a whole lot more than $2000. I'd guess more like $15,000. 500s have also gained tremendous popularity since you found and restored yours.
The 500 may not be a major, major technology advancement, but it is absolutely the most publicized, advertised, and recognizable single telephone form to date, well known all over the word...and you have possibly the earliest one in existence. ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford