"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

One of you selling this Oslo Telephone?

Started by dsk, February 05, 2012, 12:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

EBay: http://tinyurl.com/7lt42ve
This Oslo telephone has a decal in good condition,but it is re-furbed.
The stamp 1933 is strange, because this model was officially made from 1934-1954 in a number of approx 120 000.
The hook was made in bakelite from 1934-1940, but later was metal used. (Bakelite was to expensive during WW2)
The original cords was cloth covered, and when the telephone itseves was made by Electrisk Bureau, the dial was made by Standrd Telefon og Kabelfabrikk (STK) (later ITT)  The dial label is obviously original and says VENT PÅ SUMMETONEN  ="Wait for dial tone" Printed on a big B.  The which I guess has to be the tone for the dial tone.  Today is is an A  ~440Hz ~250Hz??
I don't know the date of the dial, but I'll guess this is from the late 40ies.

dsk

unbeldi

Another one of these has shown up: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231466609769

Very similar number card with the "Wait for the dial tone" instruction and the large B.  The dial appears to be a BTMC NO. 7019 or so, but with the Oslo reverse dial pulse encoding.

Russ Kirk

Quote from: dsk on February 05, 2012, 12:18:24 PM
The original cords was cloth covered

I have one of these and needs a new handset cord.
Does anyone have one to sell?
What color are they?
Would a WE brown cloth handset cord be similar?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

unbeldi

Quote from: Russ Kirk on February 18, 2015, 12:05:04 PM
Quote from: dsk on February 05, 2012, 12:18:24 PM
The original cords was cloth covered

I have one of these and needs a new handset cord.
Does anyone have one to sell?
What color are they?
Would a WE brown cloth handset cord be similar?
Since these were made for quite some time, I would think the cord material depends on the date of your set.  But if you're using cloth, I believe it should most likely be black cloth. I don't remember seeing a brown cord on a European phone.

I have a very similar set from BTMC made in 1947 and it had black cloth cords too, but cut off unfortunately.

I am sorry, strike most of that.  I misremembered. Looking at the cord remains on my pictures, they were actually brown.  But we know that BTMC was a Western Electric sibling. I think the skandinavian phones, like Ericsson used black cordage.

dsk

These were originally equipped with straight black cloth covered cords. 3 cords inside with spaded tips. Each end had a textile or loop in each end to to hold the cord.  The cords was were softer than the WE cords. When changing cord terminals in the phone are marked T for receiver M for transmitter, and TM for common.

dsk

LarryInMichigan

I posted about one of these that I bought last April on ebay for $30: forum link.  Coincidentally, this phone has been sitting on my desk for the past week or two.  I discovered that a WE F1 transmitter fits into the handset, so I am able to use the phone without the static that the transmitter that came with it caused.

Larry

dsk

The F1 transmitter are a better transmitter! Since all the current goes trough this, just like in the WE 302's it may be stressing the new transmitter too, if this cause statics, I would like to know.

The $30 was a good buy.  By my opinion $200 are faaaaaaar to much. On the other hand I see phones go for much more than I consider as right. Maybe it is a sign of getting old?   ;)

dsk

unbeldi

Local loop currents used to be a lot higher than the modern loop. I have observed that many old transmitters other than the WECo brands, show a curiously high resistance, on the order of tens, even hundreds of kiloohms, when the current is low. Modern ohm meters use a very low current and make those transmitters look dead, but measuring them in a circuit constructed for the purpose using a higher voltage, say 10 V, source, the resistance measurement drops to more reasonable values.

Somehow this seems related to the noise problems, but I haven't studied that relation much. It's tedious actually.  For some reason WECo understood the manufacturing of long-lasting transmitters better than anyone else.