News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Perfect AE 34

Started by Doug Rose, January 21, 2017, 09:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This is the most "amazing*" telephone. This is exactly how it was found, except the jack on the line cord. It is fully functional. Bakelite still has that new shine to it. It didn't ring when I got it, so this morning I opened it and found the gongs had been turned away from the clapper.

*Sorry for the use of Amazing, but there is no other word to describe it....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

That is beautiful, Doug. Where did you find this potential FOM?
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

rdelius

Nice set.I am surprised it would ring with the freq ringer

Doug Rose

Robbie.....I was thrilled. I figured it was a frequency ringer when it would not ring. I opened it up and called it. I saw the clapper moving and brought the gongs closer together and it rings! And it is a cool ring. This beast is HEAVY...over 6 lbs
Kidphone

unbeldi

It is a frequency ringer.
The frequency is probably 20 or 25 Hz.

WEBellSystemChristian

Well, you could use a different word, like...oh, I dunno...stunning, incredible, immaculate, perfect, awe-inspiring, jealously-inspiring, envy creator...just stop me when I'm wrong. ;) ;D

Great phone, Doug! I haven't even found a Type 40 that looked as good as that does! Where did you find it, and how much did you pay for it, if I may ask?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AE_Collector

Interesting ringer, I have records of AE ringers in the 562xx, 563xx, 564xx and 565xx range but haven't seen a 561xx before. This one is 56175-A. It looks as though something else is stamped below this number on the ringer. Based on what I can see I am going to guess - 25.

Terry

unbeldi

The D-561xx-A series is listed in Bulletin 100 and 1015 of 1929. xx designates the frequency.

D-56175-A is indeed a 25 Hz ringer with a resistance of 2080 Ω.

It is kind of surprising to find it in a 34A3, because it is supposed to have mounting rods for the gongs. It seems that end of the ringer has been replaced with the angle bracket of the "correct" 34A3 ringers.  I think perhaps this was a replacement ringer.

AE_Collector

Quote from: unbeldi on January 21, 2017, 03:10:34 PM
The D-561xx-A series is listed in Bulletin 100 and 1015 of 1929. xx designates the frequency.

D-56175-A is indeed a 25 Hz ringer with a resistance of 2080 Ω.

If xx is the frequency wouldn't it be 75 Hz or do you mean the additional two digits printed on the frame after the -A indicate the frequency on this style ringer?

It looks as though there must have been some modifications made to get this ringer into the 34 but at least it is in there looking pretty much the way it should.

Terry

unbeldi

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 21, 2017, 08:44:13 PM
If xx is the frequency wouldn't it be 75 Hz or do you mean the additional two digits printed on the frame after the -A indicate the frequency on this style ringer?

It looks as though there must have been some modifications made to get this ringer into the 34 but at least it is in there looking pretty much the way it should.

Terry

xx just completes the ordering code for each frequency ringer, but it is not the frequency itself.
I used the xx scheme, because that's what you used.

recrum

I saw that on ebay and didn't realize it was you until I got on the forum today.  Beautiful phone.  Will you be relisting it if it doesn't sell?

Doug Rose

Recrum....not sure on a relist.....something is tugging at me to keep it. I may keep it and sell another AE34 I have....this is just a one in a lifetime find...Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Hi Recrum, welcome back!

You sent me several records of your AE phones several years ago. I am likely looking for some additional details now as compared to then. I will check and send you a PM. We have been working diligently on deciphering the AE codes once again.

Doug: Need a picture of the base or can you see what markings are on the base.

Terry

Doug Rose

Here is a pic of the bottom
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Thanks Doug. Are there any black numbers stamped on the base that are visible? I can't tell in the picture. Frequently they are hard to see or not there at all on AE34's which frequently have bases that are painted quite dark

Terry