News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Introduction New Member - "dutchjim"

Started by dutchjim, August 11, 2012, 06:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dutchjim

Hello; I'm a new member. I've been collecting telephones since I was about 10 or 11. I was fascinated by telephones. My dad got me a Western Electric 202, and that was the beginning.

I have several phones. I just purchased a Western Electric AA1. I was lucky. The AA1 was on eBay and didn't reach the reserve. I contacted the owner. Someone else wanted the phone too, but didn't get back to him, so I got it. I've been wanting an AA1 for 15 years, but couldn't afford it. I decided that I really wanted the phone, spent more than I wanted to, and am very satisfied.

The phone is in great shape, even with the original cloth handset cord. I didn't want t get a phone that had been "rehabilitated" repainted, etc.  

Anyway, I've been copying lots of information from this forum. I have a Panasonic KX-T30810 PBX, and am working on getting my phones (7) all hooked up ad working. This forum has been invaluable providing all the details of setting up a PBX. I have spent days harvesting all the posts and information. I will not be connecting the system to a POTS.

I'm looking forward to reading more on this forum. I've included a photo of my AA1.

Cheers for now.

dutchjim

Oh well, I cannot figure out how to post my photo, guess I'll need to read up on that, too.

HarrySmith

Welcome!
I am very lealous, that AA1 is very nice!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

Welcome to the forum, Dutchjim.

Thanks for sharing your phone photos.  Your phone is a beauty - and one of the iconic phones that's the centerpiece of many collections.  Many of us searched for years to find one (at a reasonable price) and many are still looking.

One of the first initiation rituals is to point out that the AA1 is part of the 300-series, not a round base cradle phone.

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#AA1

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

dutchjim

Thanks, Harry.

I have a question. I have identified my phone as an AA1. I was reading a post on an AA1, and its not the AA1 I have. The post is topic #4042.0, and the AA1 phone looks more like a 302, Bakelite or thermoplastic.

Is the correct model number A1 and not AA1?

dutchjim

Quote from: paul-f on August 11, 2012, 09:29:37 PM
Welcome to the forum, Dutchjim.

Thanks for sharing your phone photos.  Your phone is a beauty - and one of the iconic phones that's the centerpiece of many collections.  Many of us searched for years to find one (at a reasonable price) and many are still looking.

One of the first initiation rituals is to point out that the AA1 is part of the 300-series, not a round base cradle phone.

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#AA1

Thanks, Paul. So, my phone is an A1.

Jim

paul-f

Correct!

(Now if we can just get Harry on board!   ;D ;D)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

Beautiful phone Jim...welcome to the Forum.....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Welcome Jim.  Nice phone.  Congratulations!

dsk

TelePlay

Quote from: dutchjim on August 11, 2012, 09:36:23 PM
Thanks, Harry.

I have a question. I have identified my phone as an AA1. I was reading a post on an AA1, and its not the AA1 I have. The post is topic #4042.0, and the AA1 phone looks more like a 302, Bakelite or thermoplastic.

Is the correct model number A1 and not AA1?
Check out this link for an explanation of how the 300 series AA1 vs desk stand A1 or A1A got started.

http://tinyurl.com/bw5h5el

Dan/Panther

Welcome to our wonderful world. I'm almost tempted to tear apart my knockoff Candlestick, and build me one them thar things.
D/.P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HarrySmith

I was not sure of the model number so I was not about to challenge it. So from Paul's page I got that A1 or A1A are one in the same. These are not marked on the shaft as on the B & D mounts? One more stupid question, what is a AA1? Now I need to find an affordable 1.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Harry....a AA1 is a gutless  manual 302 that was used to replace Candlesticks in a subset environment, The subset had all the working parts, AA1 was basically the 302 base and  handset wired to the subset. AA1 would be marked in vermilion where you would normally see H1....Doug
Kidphone

McHeath

Welcome!  Great looking phone.

dutchjim

Thank you all for your welcomes and pertinent information.
Cheers,
Jim