News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

DialGizmo does it work or not?

Started by dsk, September 19, 2009, 03:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

I am wondering if I should spend money on a DialGizmo  or two, but does it work?

Anybody out there with good or bad experience with this product?

I have an old Mitel SmarT1, its working quite well, but I am not able to call long numbers starting on 095 witch is a part of my dial plan.  

dsk

PS have you heard about C*NET? (Collectors network) It works!

DS

bingster

I haven't seen this particular model before, but there are a couple other models which are well known.  I don't have one, but I've heard from other people that they work great.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

Seems very similar to the device that Oldphoneworks.com sells, the Rotatone.  If you get it let us know how it works, I wonder if it would be possible to run the whole house system through it?

bwanna

ok i don't care if i sound dumb. what are you guys talking about ???
donna

McHeath

These are gizmos that, using the magic of fairy dust I assume, somehow translate the pulse signals of a rotary phone to the DTMF sounds of the touch tone era.  I really don't have a clue how they work, but they seem from what folks say, and some of them even give the rotary phone the ability to send the # and * tones as well, and even memory and redial to boot. 

HobieSport

I just use a modern phone for modern phone calls. To phone old friends, I use a classic rotary. Sorry to sound like a party pooper, and it is an interesting gizmo. But who really needs it in what real situation?

Bwanna; you can't ask a dumb question. I can only ask the stupid ones. ;)
-Matt

McHeath

I think that it would be of benefit if one wanted to no longer need a touch tone phone.  I like old touch tones and usually keep one hooked up here and there.  But it would be nice to be able to always use any phone in the house when I answer and some computer asks me to press one for _________.

bwanna

i guess i don't make enough calls that require me to "press 1" etc. i have the one trimline for those instances. used to be, the automated queue was set up to default to a live person if it did not get a tone response. but i don't think it is like that anymore. one more way to eliminate jobs for humans. :o

ok, hobie, from now i will PM you my dumb questions. then you can ask them on the forum ;)
donna

dsk

The reason for asking is simple, either VOIP or the new exchanges accept rotary, and of course as some mentioned press 1 for... 2 for ..etc.   
I have a several old telephones some with reverse dial, some with normal dial, and I cant use them for calling out.

Here in Norway, it has not been made any pushbutton telephones with mechanical ringers, and want you to ring me, mot whistle or play me a sound.

The last telephone with bells were made in 1967! The last with a dial about 1980... :D I love my bells! ;D

dsk

dsk

Now I have ordered 2 DialGizmo

Wee will soon see if I got anything for my money, and how well it works.

Why 2?

I have some reversal dials too.

dsk

rp2813

Most automated response units now give the option to "press" or "speak" your response.  There are very few of them that I encounter anymore that require a keypad to navigate through them.  And as Donna has said, most of these systems will default you to a representative if they don't get a response.  Just this morning I called Wells Fargo and used my cordless since I presumed I'd have to key in my card number.  As it turned out, the instructions were "press or say" so I picked up my beefy G1, shut off the cordless and used my 10/50 500 for the remainder of the call.  A much more comfortable handest and no more fuzziness in the transmission quality.

Ralph
Ralph

McHeath

I still encounter systems that want a touch tone entry, and will just sit there if you don't give them a tone.  My pharmacy for one, and my school district office for another, no touch tone no workie, won't even send me to the operator after a while. 

My favorite annoying phone menu system is AMTRAK.  You have to speak, and the darn thing is picky and does not like my voice.

"ONE!!!!!"

"I'm sorry, did you say "flawn"?

"NO!!"

"Okay, my mistake, let's try that again.  Please say the number of your choice"

"ONE!"

"I'm sorry, did you say "Juan"?

AHHHHHHHH!!!

bingster

Quote from: McHeath on September 23, 2009, 08:20:26 PMMy favorite annoying phone menu system is AMTRAK... "Okay, my mistake, let's try that again.  Please say the number of your choice"

The first time I heard that line in a phone menu system, I found it chilling--machinery feigning regret.  It won't be long before the machines become the masters.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

And how about the gas pumps that read out "Thank you" when you are done pumping the gas.  I mean really, the mechanical pump is grateful I bought gas from it??

Dennis Markham

Around these parts the gas pump says Thank You...then after a long pause and you've turned your back it says "Chump".