News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302, E 1 handset questions

Started by Dan, October 03, 2010, 09:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I have a  1938 302 with a metal body and a 4H dial. It has a F1 handset from 1941. I purchased an intercom (D-1 body) from Goodwill that had a pretty E-1  handset from 1937.

Would it be appropriate if I could add the E-1 to this phone, since it is one year earlier? What years did E-1's appear on 302's?

Lastly , is there a difference in sound quality from an e-1 to an f-1 ? I love the style of the e-1 but if it sounds bad the wifey may not go for it replacing the pink princess in our bedroom.

There seem to be not many 302's out there with e-1 handsets.

Thanks!!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Craig T

Dan, this article should help with the years, I am not sure about the difference in sound quality though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_202_telephone

Doug Rose

Dan...E1 handsets came on early 1937 302s. I have a 3/37 with an E1 and its is all marked 3/37 so I find no issue with you adding an E1 to your 38 302. I have also seen a 3/37 with a seamless F1, so I think WE was finding its way and using new and old parts alike. Bottom line, its you phone, do as you like. As for correctness, I would do it. Who is going to be opening your phones checking for dates?  Show us pictures of your finished beauty....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Dan,

Some early 302s did come with E1 handsets.  Does your handset have a bullet or F1 transmitter?  If it has a bullet transmitter, the quality of the transmitted sound will be inferior (if it works at all) to the F1.  If it has an F1 transmitter, the sound will be the same as with an F1 handset.  If it has a bullet, and you want to convert it to use an F1, you can probably get the necessary parts from Steve Hilsz.

The sound quality from the receiver on the E1 will not be as good ad with the F1 handset.  The receiver capsule is essentially a mini version of the candlestick-style receiver with a magnet and a steel diaphragm.  For normal conversations, it will probably be fine, but for hearing faint sounds, it may not be quite good enough.

Larry

Wallphone

Here is a link that I found on Paul F's site. > http://vintagephone.com/HB302.htm <
But don't let that stop you from using an E handset. I think the E's give the 302's a touch of class.

KeithB

Quote from: Wallphone on October 03, 2010, 11:05:39 AMBut don't let that stop you from using an E handset. I think the E's give the 302's a touch of class.
I agree, I think it looks very nice atop an early 302.

Dennis Markham

I also agree....I love the look of the 302 with the E1 handset.

Jim Stettler

Doug,
I was looking for that link awhile back. I was trying to find out which handset is proper for a small plunger non-vented plastic housing.

It is probably a late 1937. These were only supposed to of been made in metal, but mine is plastic or transparent aluminum. I lean towards plastic.
Thanks,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Wallphone

Jim, the timing was right because I just came across that link on Friday while looking up info for a 307, otherwise, with my old memory it would have been, - what were we talking about?
According to the 202 Wiki that Craig posted (see above) the 202 didn't use a F1 handset until 1954. Did I read that right? That can't be true.

Jim Stettler

I am thinking that there was recent evidence that the "f" handset was developed before the 302 as a replacement handset for the E.
They may of held off until 1954 to make 202's with the F handset. I think they used them as replacement handsets shortly after it was developed.

Jim

Paul F. may know
You live, You learn,

paul-f

Quote from: Jim S. on October 03, 2010, 02:15:41 PM

Paul F. may know

...or not.

But I have opinions.  From memory, ISTR that the HA1 and F1 elements were primarily designed for the F-series handsets -- but that they were also intended to replace other transmitters and receivers in production sets and to replace older gear during refurb. 

My understanding is that the F1 capsule was available in 1934 and integrated into the E handsets in 1935.

The bulldog mouthpiece/holder was designed to fit upright desk stands, wood wall phones, metal wall phones, etc.

The 706 receiver held the HA1 element for similar applications.

See:  http://www.oldtimephones.com/candlestickphones.html

Also, the Continental and Imperial sets that were made with D mountings and F handsets in the 1950s were made in the distribution houses and refurb shops, not the factory
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Wallphone

Thanks Paul. It seems to me that I see more black 202 D mount phones with the F type handsets than the E type. If they weren't original equipment on a 202 until 1954 then there sure was a lot of handset swapping going on. My parents got their first phone around 1947 and it was a 202 D1 with a F1 handset.
It had to be a reconditioned phone. Even though the 302 had been out for about ten years, my Mom said that the 202 was all the the installer had on the truck. The installer told my Mom that he could come back at a later date with a 302 but my Mom said that she would take the 202. She didn't want to wait another day to get her own phone. The 202 was installed in the living room and we had it until about 1962 when we got a 554 installed in the kitchen. When the 554 was installed, my Mom asked if she could keep the 202 for display, but that didn't happen. By that time it probably ended up in a landfill.

paul-f

I believe the MD date for the D-series mountings was in 1938.

Once the sets were placed in service, it would be common to upgrade them to the F handset if the E needed service.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

Quote from: paul-f on October 03, 2010, 03:01:25 PM
Quote from: Jim S. on October 03, 2010, 02:15:41 PM

Paul F. may know

...or not.

But I have opinions.  From memory, ISTR that the HA1 and F1 elements were primarily designed for the F-series handsets -- but that they were also intended to replace other transmitters and receivers in production sets and to replace older gear during refurb. 

My understanding is that the F1 capsule was available in 1934 and integrated into the E handsets in 1935.

The bulldog mouthpiece/holder was designed to fit upright desk stands, wood wall phones, metal wall phones, etc.

The 706 receiver held the HA1 element for similar applications.

See:  http://www.oldtimephones.com/candlestickphones.html

Also, the Continental and Imperial sets that were made with D mountings and F handsets in the 1950s were made in the distribution houses and refurb shops, not the factory

That is the info I was thinking of.
You live, You learn,