News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What's your favorite handset for everyday use?

Started by guitar1580, January 11, 2011, 08:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar1580

For me, it's the Western Electric G handset, particularly the early bakelite version.  As far as looks, I think the W/E  E handset is a beautiful work of art, but I'm one of those folks who grips the handset between my shoulder and ear, and the E and F seem to rock to the side, or slide out, and seem to have a resonation to the sound.  The ultra lightweight plastic handsets, like on my fax machine, are too light, and feels like I'm talking into a pencil... and sometimes I can't find my ear with them.  The cordless phone only gets used for answering outdoors, since the neighbors listen on scanners.

The bakelite G seems to grip clothing a little better than a polished plastic one, while the plastic G is a little ligher in weight.  With either of them, I can go about my business around the house while I'm talking, hands free, with a long cord, and hardly know its there.  My everyday users in every room all have the G handset.  To me, it's design is more comfortable, balanced, ergonomic, and provides a better sound than any handset, new or old, that I've ever used.

Josh P

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

ESalter

I completely agree.  I love the looks of the F and E handsets, but the Gs are more comfortable to talk on for more than 2 minutes.  Maybe they were designed to keep talk times down???  Anyway, within reach of my computer desk I have both a 302 with an F1 and a 2500 with a G3.  When the phone rings I almost always answer on the 2500 without even thinking.

---Eric

Dan

My donut phone--just kidding.

Honestly, any G is best for me, but a straight handset cord makes them feel so light--no back pulling on them. You can cup them on your shoulder and talk 15 minutes (or my wife-2 hours) with no problem.  :)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Ed D

The F handset is too heavy for me to wedge comfortably between my cheek and shoulder, so I can't multitask well while using it.  It tends to fall out, and usually ends up on the floor too often for my taste.  Hey, I'm a klutz!  Thankfully I have carpeting that has broken its fall - at least up until the last time...

The G works well for me, as does the "whatever it is" handset on my AT&T model 902.

bingster

As much as I love the E's looks, it's weight gets to be a bit much during a lengthy conversation.  The G is just too square and clunky feeling in my hand, and I don't like holding them for long periods.  The bakelite F is heavy, too, although not as heavy as the E, so that leaves my favorite as the thermoplastic F.  Its slender handle and triangular shape fit my paw just right, and the light weight is perfect for lengthy conversations.  And I'm with Dan on the cords--coiled cords look nice, but I hate the constant tug.
= DARRIN =

Tribune

A lightweight G handset on my late-model 500 daily diallers or the No.3 handset on my GPO 746. But if I really want to get that "vintage feel" I love the Northern Electric NU handset on my wall-mounted No.2  Uniphone in the kitchen. Great heavy polished Bakelite beast of a thing that makes one's conversations feel really important!
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

To miss-quote "Bones" McCoy . . .
                     "darn it Jim - I'm a doctor, not a telephone engineer!"

Dan/Panther

I prefer the G style, and because of the weight factor G3. The F/E styles are great but they don't stay on your shoulder.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Adam

I agree with Dan/Panther and others who say the G handset wins because of shoulder rest capability and weight.

My collection goes the other way, as having phones from 60s through the 80s, I very much like Trimline phones and have several in many colors and variations.  However, they're just not as comfortable, because of the increased size and weight, when compared to a G handset.

I also own three different color 12 button Western Electric Touch-A-Matic dialer phones.  They came with the small handsets that look like the ones from Merlin phones (but are not the same electrically, I understand).  These smaller handsets are harder to keep on your shoulder than G handsets, IMHO.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

dsk

This handset is quite good:

The biggest drawback is the missing cotton ball which always is in the old WE handsets. I have added some cotton, probably making it even more frankenphone, but it works well, and has a better grip than the typical handset on a 500 or 2500. The weight is a little less, and could probably be adjusted with adding something heavy in addition to the cotton ;D 

dsk

deedubya3800

Like most everyone else, G if by shoulder, F if by hand. :)

I haven't had an E yet, but those are my favorite to look at.

rp2813

Put me down as another in the long list of those who prefer the G type.  It's more compact, which along with the flat spine affords a perfect configuration for securing it between ear and shoulder.  I also think it has a more masculine look and feel to it, which is why I prefer gripping a heavy G1 over a G3.   The F1 is a beautiful design, but is much more dainty looking when compared to a G1, and next to impossible to use hands-free.

The fatigue factor with an E1 presents itself when used for longer than a few minutes.  They are not very well balanced and I find myself holding my E1 by the transmitter end rather than gripping the spine during long conversations.
Ralph

Kenny C

Im not on the G1 list. The G series seem too short for my liking. The F1 is lengthy and fits my hand good. The 302 is my bed-side phone but I finally talked mom into letting me put a 554 in the kitchen it's good to use hands free
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LM Ericsson

Regards,
-Grayson