News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Model 8

Started by Telephone Mike, August 07, 2012, 09:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telephone Mike

Many thanks to Stub and Dennis Halworth for their help in restoring this very rare vintage AE 8.  With Stub's help, I converted it to a working phone with the bell ringing on incoming calls and also still able to crank it and hear the bell (see the picture of the mini network and relays for the ringer and magneto).  The receive and transmit are excellent.  All the wires that were disconnected or moved are marked with original lug numbers so it can be put back to original with no problems.  The originality has not been compromised.  Dennis expertly recovered the foot pads.  Many hours spent stripping, sanding, painting, polishing, buffing and I think it looks great.  Note the braided handset cord.  I redyed it and except for a few rough spots, it looks and works great.  With a 5/16th tool, you can loosen the receiver cap and adjust it to your most comfortable angle.  The chrome band on the transmitter spit cup is a little rough but the band on the receiver cap is pristine.  For some reason, my "before" pictures got deleted and I'm not used to tooting my own horn but I'm pretty proud of this baby.

stub

Telephone Mike ,
                      SWEEEEEEEEETTTT!! Man :o , you did a great job on this phone!!!   I was just thinking about sending a e-mail to see how things were progressing on it.
                      Can't wait to see what you come up with next!!
                      You do know there is no known cure for this phone collecting bug don't you !!  ;D   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Telephone Mike

Thanks again Stub, I almost got a hold of you about the wiring but went back over what I'd done and found my mistake and now it works perfectly.

Yep, I've got the bug and no known antidote.

I may put this phone on ebay later, I really get off on the restoration and making it work again and  enjoy passing it off to someone who will use it. 

stub

Telephone Mike ,
                         My kids or wife will sell mine when they pry my cold dead fingers from all of them!!!!! ;D
                         Job well done , Sir!!    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield