News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this?

Started by Greg G., April 15, 2009, 05:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Everything was ok up until the line cord.  This line cord has red, green, yellow, and black.  Yellow is on 9, red is on 10, green on 11, black on 13.  There is no "jumper cable" that I can see.  I don't know what that is anyway.  From the looks of things, it appears to be a 1964 model, at least that's the dates on the parts on the inside.  But the schematic has a 1954 date on it, so I'm still not real sure.

Can anybody translate a Dutch schematic?

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

Google's translator is pretty rough, but it gives an idea of what's being said.  The block of text at the upper right says:

additional alarm

1 junction box choir offender yellow terminal b to terminal ew bring

2 extra alarm connected to the terminals b and ew twin circuit device 1

1 junction box choir offender yellow terminal b to terminal ew bring

2 in unit choir offender yellow terminal 9 to terminal 12 to

unit 2

1 connected to the terminals b and ew of device 1

2 circuit not wuzigen

3 any additional clock line as above

The block at the lower right is a color/connection chart

kleuren = colors
rood = red
blauw = blue
geel = yellow
groen = green
zwart = black
grus = ?
= DARRIN =

contraste

A jumper is just a strap or wire connecting the two terminals.

You should just need red and green connected according to the instructions I posted earlier. Try the combinations suggested and see what happens.

Greg G.

Eureka!  Got the ringer to work!  It was just a matter of that little jumper whatchacallit.  I went down and dug out my old wire-stripper kit from my toolbox.  I robbed a wire out of a junker phone I had and used that. 

I also found the source of contraste's info, a guy on ebay, goes by Krollohare.  Here's what he had to say about the phone:
QuotePS. Your phone is a Dutch PTT Standard which is basically the same wiring as a HEEMAF and the Type 51. Yours would be a Type 54.

The white button is the flash button to flash between available exchanges. In the old days in Europe, not all automatic lines hunted for an available circuit. So if the circuits were jammed you could flash the phone and upon reconnection, it might find an available line or circuit.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

Some additional facts.
The strap between 9 and 10 (missing on the picture) was to connect the ringer between 12 and 10 (tip and ring) or to strap between 9 and ground (13) on party lines. Extra ringer was put in series instead of strap. (you could probably put in a resistor of 2-3 kiloohms to reduce the REN no.

The grounding button was used as a transfer button on some PBX's

The typical transmitter capsule should have an impedance of approx 200 ohms, witch not is that common in USA, I believe.

The ringer is not biased, but probably optimized for 25 Hz.

If you want to have a second telephone on the line, you may connect it between 12 and 10, the it should not be possible to listen to each other.

dsk

Dan/Panther

I link to the original photo can not be found, if someone has a photo could you post it or send the link so we can re-insert it into the thread.
Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

FABphones

I never saw this thread, but from the description it sounds like a Standard Bell PTT. Mid 50's.

Briny may remember the phone from this thread, and correct me if I'm wrong.  :)

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Greg G.

Quote from: FABphones on December 20, 2018, 12:45:42 PM
I never saw this thread, but from the description it sounds like a Standard Bell PTT. Mid 50's.

Briny may remember the phone from this thread, and correct me if I'm wrong.  :)

Actually, I don't recall it.  The original post with the link is no longer available.  But the phone you posted matches my description.
- Mike Row
e