News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 34A3A with the carry handle

Started by wds, May 13, 2015, 06:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Look what I just bought - and I hope it arrives undamaged, unlike the model 35 I bought last week.  These don't come up very often - if the seller wasn't so far away I'd go pick it up. 
Dave

rdelius

That makes 2. I posted one several months ago, There is a long thread.The guts are more like the type 40 set.

wds

Dave

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, that's certainly a rare phone!

Doesn't Dave F have one of these? It was smashed in shipping, but it had the same carry handle.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3667.

I want an AE34 now!!! :'(
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

stub

wds.
          8) Man that's a GREAT find!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Your's is the L-250 AO right? I found some info on another one ( L-253 AO ) but can't  :o remember  :o where I got it from. I saved it to my computer as the AE- 34 A 11 .              stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

Dave...you sure do have some great phones....Doug
Kidphone

wds

yes, the L 250 AO.  Not sure what the code numbers mean, but I will research and see if I can figure it out.
Dave

stub

wds,
         Your phone should be just like an AE 40 on the inside and the plain AE 34A3 had a different induction coil. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

wds

The phone is on it's way - I'm looking forward to getting it and comparing to the 34 and 40.
Dave

wds

it came, and better yet, the mailman didn't destroy it.  I will post better pictures later after I've cleaned it up.  Here's a picture of the inside.  The line cord appears to be original, but obviously the handset cord will need to be switched out. 

Also, I've included a picture of a couple more phones i bought from the same seller.  Also came undamaged.  A very good week for me.
Dave

wds

A few pictures.  One thing I noticed is that the finger hole is not molded - AE took the original shell and cut a hole in it, then fitted the fingerhole with a plate similar to the assembly on a WE 302.  The cut is clearly not a handyman cut, but must have been done at the factory.  Maybe AE was recycling old 34 shells?  Also, mine only has 1 condensor where Rdelius phone has 2 caps.  Even the wiring diagram only calls out for 1.  It really cleaned up nice.  Who ever stored this for the last 50 years took great care with it.  The phone almost looks unused.  If AE was recycling old 34 shells, then that would explain the coiled cord.  The handset still had the original transmitter element, and not the newer style that I don't like. 
Dave

stub

wds,
          SWEEEEEEEEEEET !!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

wds

As far as the insides being like the model 40, this version seems to be completely different than the 34 or the 40, but most similar to the model 40.  I like the placement of the coil on the base plate better than the location of the coil in the model 40.
Dave

wds

Just a follow up note, there is an article in the Singing Wires magazine about this style phone.  - April 2011
Dave

wds

Here's one for sale on Ebay. 

AE34 with carry handle

Dave