News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Removing hard sticker glue residue from plastic surfaces

Started by TelePlay, June 26, 2022, 02:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

If anyone is into restoring old phones anymore, this less than 5 minute procedure may be of great help.

Self adhesive stickers applies to plastic years ago usually end up with the adhesive turning rock hard and difficult to remove.

I had a clear finger wheel with hard residue on the center window which by luck I used the right combination of liquids and materials to take it off quickly.

This topic duplicates that method, proves it works, on hard glue residue from a sticker that was placed on a green 554 in 1984.

The images below describe the solvents used, the physical materials used and the steps taken to remove the residue, without any sanding. The images are from "as found" to finished surface.

The use of acetone mixed with isopropyl alcohol and the oil based remover removed the residue but did not remove the plastic, the cotton cloth did not turn green, as would be expected when using 75% acetone on plastic.

This dark green phone did not end up with a lighter green "spot" under the removed sticker, an area which was protected from light discoloration. This 554 housing showed no signs of age related discoloration on any side so no "sticker spot" was left after residue removal.

FABphones

Quote...The use of acetone mixed with isopropyl alcohol and the oil based remover removed the residue but did not remove the plastic, the cotton cloth did not turn green, as would be expected when using 75% acetone on plastic.

Nice result and a tip well worth knowing. Thanks for taking the time to detail your work.

I use vegetable oil on a paper towel to remove softer sticker residue, but the rock hard glue residue you describe is more difficult.

👍
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Another useful post. Thanks John.

One more thing that most people do not know works well for removing stickers is WD-40. Probably not on that old hard stuff though.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 26, 2022, 05:54:29 PMOne more thing that most people do not know works well for removing stickers is WD-40.

Yes, it's a thin cutting oil mixed with solvent carriers that should nicely dissolve still sticky residue. Lacquer thinner is another.

But for hard residue, you need an abrasive, diatomaceous earth or a tooth paste for example, to "sand" the residue while the solvents work on dissolving it. Even the cotton cloth is an abrasive so that is why I went with a fresh, clean cotton patch in each step. The removed residue is picked up by the cotton cloth, fills the mesh so the cloth becomes smooth and has little abrasive ability.

WD-40 on cotton cloth works the same way with the "sticky" residue filling in the cloth mesh.

I'm still amazed at how well and how quickly the combination of lemon oil, acetone, isopropyl alcohol and Novus 3 worked together to soften and remove the rock hard residue. That's 4 solvents, each with different properties, and 2 abrasives (Novus 3 grit and the cloth mesh) working together. The aqua regia of residue removal from plastic.

TelePlay

Next phone I work on that has rock hard sticker residue, I will substitute the Goo-Gone with WD-40 and see if works.

The old chemistry law of likes dissolve likes is the key. But not knowing what the rock hard really is, throwing everything at it at once is hoping one or two of the ingredients will soften and remove the residue.

Still sticky residue is easier to remove with a solvent that is or could have been part of the process used to make the sticker glue. Hard residue is something else.

TelePlay

Quote from: TelePlay on June 27, 2022, 08:48:02 AMNext phone I work on that has rock hard sticker residue, I will substitute the Goo-Gone with WD-40 and see if works.

As promised, this 1961 Moss Green WE 500 had a rock hard sticker on its front corner. I started using WD-40 but quickly found that it did not produce the results I was seeing with Goo-Gone. There is something in the citrus based paint removers that significantly helps remove rock hard stickers and their residue.

It seems the WD-40 is a lighter oil mixed with lighter solvents. The Goo-Gone is a heavier citrus based oil mixed into heavier solvents. The bottom line is that WD-40 did nothing to remove an old sticker and its rock hard residue but switching to Goo-Gone gave immediate removal results.

I am sure WD-40 works well with removing still sticky residue from plastic, as do other mild solvents such as mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, Goo-Gone or Goof-Off alone, WD-40 does not have any effect on rock hard stickers or their residue.

The following images are annotated showing the removal steps of this sticker from "as found" to completely removed and polished.

Actual working time was 7 to 10 minutes including making the cotton patch/ball pads and use of the rotary buffer.

The only real problem with stickers is the color of the plastic under them. The desirability and/or value of the phone dictates whether the sticker spot is acceptable or if the entire phone should be color restored.

TelePlay

More steps.

TelePlay

Forgot to mention the different color under a label can be caused by two things, age related discoloration around the sticker and/or chemical interaction under the sticker between the plastic and the sticker glue.

Regardless, the sticker "spot" can be left as is or the whole housing color restored.

TelePlay

Came out well. The hard sticker residue on the front came off nicely as stated above.

The red sticker on the top still had sticky glue so the paper came off quickly with a flat plastic scraper and simple solvents took of the glue residue.

The entire handset and housing were cleaned and polished with Novus 3 & 2 as described above.

About an hour's total work time to get from before to after. That's the 4 sides, the top/front and the handset.

The dial is just dirty and cleaned up quickly with soapy water.

TelePlay

I was going to put this sticker free and now clean 1961 Moss Green phone up on eBay but with the G6 amplified handset (something I'll need someday), the open center finger wheel and the fact that the G6 was first introduced in 1961, I'm keeping it.

Put it in the living room and every time I see it, it reminds me of the very first phone I had in my very first apartment when I got my very first job a long time ago.

IIRC, Moss Green was the most requested colors back then, at least it seemed that way.