News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

500 ringer questions

Started by rtp129495, November 16, 2011, 10:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtp129495

Is it possible to use a 500 ringer in a separate box with just a capacitor?

IE. Hook black and red to tip and ring and slate/slate-red to capacitor? or will the riger ding when line is pulsing? i would think this would work, any thoughts?

Phonesrfun

Absolutely it is possible and often done.  Use a .5  mF capacitor rated at 250 volts.

Red and black to tip and ring (doesn't matter which goes where, although the 500 had the red to tip and the black to ring just to be standard.)

As you said, the slate and the slate/red wires go to the 1/2 mF capacitor.

Note that you will probably never see a .5 mF capacitor out there in the world.  The standard value for a .5 is usually a .47.

The ringer should behave exactly as it would inside a phone, and there should be no bell tapping during dialing.
-Bill G

bakerbrett741

here's the one I made with the help of classicrotaryphones.com and all the people on here with great knowledge

bakerbrett741

It is not the older style of ringer that is in the nicely made oak box. I had to find some pieces of rubber to go under the ringer (beteween the ringer and wood)when I screwed it down. I polished the bells with Brasso as to detract from the wood box(if you can even call it that). I dont have any wood working tools. If I did I would have gotten some pieces of oak. I used an old pallet from the roofing supplies we had delivered. I used what I had. It coud be hid as mine is not as pretty as the one that go for 60.00-85.00

rtp129495

that's a neat little box you have there. I was thinking of something similar. I'm pretty crafty with wood and such. I was thinking of making my own terminal block and soldering a capacitor in it. That way I can hook the ringer wires and phone line wires together and make it neat and tidy. I wonder if radio shack has that basic stuff anymore. i'll have to check.