News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1952 WE 501 off ebay

Started by Tom B, November 13, 2010, 06:09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom B

Just received the above phone by post - Base notes it as 8/52, Ringer is dated 12/50, shell is 9/29/52 first shift, handset 8/52, trans cap is 7/52, transmitter is 8/52 (4), receiver cap is 8/52, receiver is 8/5/52. Network has no wiring guide on the side,  just a small yellow stamp of 8/52, which leads me to think that it's probably a very early 425B. Handset and wall cords are straight and totally undamaged. Handset cord restraint clip is '56.

Dial bezel is backpainted rather than extruded.

This leaves me rather chuffed (pleased) - all for $9.99 (£6.23) plus postage!!  ;D

Will post some before and after pics later
Tom

Dan

Nice, love the early ones. Looking forward to the pics ;D
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

JorgeAmely

Tom:
You hit the jackpot if it has a tube inside.
Jorge

Tom B

Jorge - No tube inside, I just checked. But it's very nice under all the dust even so!
Tom

Jim Stettler

Tom,
You did very well. It is a great find for a US collector. It is an amazing find for a UK collector.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Tom B

Thanks, Jim. I sometimes wonder how these phones manage to slip under the general radar of the collectors.  I was the only bidder. As someone said on the forum earlier "Sometimes you bite the bear..."
Tom

Tom B

Dan
   I'll start the first set of pics tomorrow when I start cleaning and stripping the phone down.
Tom

Tom B

Here are some pics as promised - not particularly good ones. The one showing the network is blurred, but the yellow stamp is 8 - 52.
Tom

Tom B

Here's the one of the network - I think it's one of the first examples of a 425B
Tom

LarryInMichigan

Tom,

That is great work.  I can't believe how well you removed the scuffs and scratches.  I have several phones which could do with such an improvement.

Larry

Tom B

Larry
Thanks for the kind words - I am surprised and pleased how well it has turned out. I think this phone will become the daily driver when I wire the wall cord.
Tom

Dennis Markham

Tom, it looks great.  Nice job.  I love those sets with the straight handset cords.  That 12/1950 ringer is an early one.  Nice.

Tom B

Dennis
  Thanks - I really am pleased with this phone.
Tom

Dan

Nice, I also like a straight handset cord.  :)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright