News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Taking out screws on ringer assy that hold coils

Started by djtownsend, May 10, 2011, 04:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djtownsend

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but I have a couple of ringer assemblies that I want to take apart so I can remove the coils and refinish the metal parts of it.  I am having a real hard time removing the screws which hold the coils in place and am close to stripping the screws.  A picture below shows the screws I'm talking about.

Does anyone have any feedback on removing these screws without damaging the screws themselves?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Dan

HarrySmith

Maybe some penetrating oil or some heat to the other end where the threads are would help. Or an impact driver.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

djtownsend

Yeah, I tried an impact driver w/ no luck.  I'll try penetrating oil like you suggested.  Thanks.

Dan

Wallphone

Dan, Since you are probably going to have to replace the screws when finished, drill a small hole through the axis of the thread. This will take all the outward pressure off of the threads. When using small drill bits you need high RPM's. A Dremmel or pneumatic drill would do the job. If it is a blind hole, once you drill all the way through the screw, put some penetrating oil in the hole and on the threads (like Harry said) and let it sit for awhile. For members that don't own an impact screwdriver get a large handled screwdriver, get a good grip on it, and tap it with a hammer while torquing CCW.
Doug Pav

bingster

Will sliding the coils off the poles of this ringer result in the kind of demagnetization that the 500 type ringer suffers when its coil is moved off the pole? Or is this a different animal, altogether?
= DARRIN =

djtownsend

Thanks for the feedback.  Since I will have to replace the screws, does anyone know where I can get replacement screws?

Wallphone

Do you know what size the screws are yet?
Doug Pav

djtownsend

Since I can't get them out, I have no idea of what size the screw is.

djtownsend

I just one of the screws out and have to bring it to the hardware store to find out the size of the screw.  It is real short so drilling through it would not be as big as a task as I thought it would.

djtownsend

If anyone is interested, the screws that hold the coils in place are #8  3/8 inch.

djtownsend

Also, if anyone is having trouble removing these screws, I used a 1/8" drill bit on my regular drill.  Worked like a dream and had no problem removing the screw after I drilled the hole in it.

Wallphone

Just so you know there are different threads per inch on a #8 screw so you should take one with you to the hardware store. The common sizes are 8-32 & 8-36 but they also made a 8-40. Knowing how the phone company did things they probably used the hard to find size. That's not as bad as some of the old machine manufacturers like Brown & Sharpe that had bearings made to their specifications so if you ever needed a replacement you had to get it from them.
Doug Pav

Dan/Panther

I had the same concern as Bingster. Will this effect the magnetism of the coils after it is taken apart ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Dan & Bingster, I wondered the same thing.  After Jorge did his research on the 500 ringers that may be a concern. 

For those that haven't read the information, here's a link where I posted a link to Jorge's research:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3375.0

djtownsend

Well, I took out the coils from the ringer assembly so that the rest of the assembly can be cleaned.  I left the coils connected and didn't leave them out of the assembly for very long.  I'll let everyone know what happens when I put it all back together.

Dan