News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 puzzle

Started by Tom B, March 30, 2012, 02:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom B

My '42 302 has developed volume problems. When I lift the receiver I can only hear a very faint dial tone - if I call anyone I can only just hear them speak. It was ok a few days ago. I have changed the receiver element and it made no difference.

Any ideas? ???
Tom

LarryInMichigan

The dial contacts may not be closing fully.  Does wiggling the cords make a difference?

Larry

Tom B

Thanks Larry - its working properly again. I waggled the cords - should have known that :-[ ::)
Tom

Phonesrfun

You'd be surprised at how many things are fixed on a daily basis by merely wiggling cords, shaking the object, or just plain giving them a smack on the side.   ;D

-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

The problem is that, if wiggling the cords fixes the problem, it can, just as easily, bring it back.  The challenge is to figure out why wiggling the cords fixes the problem.  If the cord bad?  Is there a bad crimp on one of the ends?  Are two connectors to close to each other?

Larry

DavePEI

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 31, 2012, 02:47:42 PM
You'd be surprised at how many things are fixed on a daily basis by merely wiggling cords, shaking the object, or just plain giving them a smack on the side.   ;D
Works with my wife   ;D
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Phonesrfun

Quote from: DavePEI on April 01, 2012, 12:53:26 AM
Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 31, 2012, 02:47:42 PM
You'd be surprised at how many things are fixed on a daily basis by merely wiggling cords, shaking the object, or just plain giving them a smack on the side.   ;D
Works with my wife   ;D

Which one.... The wiggling of the cords, the shaking of the object, or the smack on the side...  Best not to answer   :o
-Bill G

DavePEI

Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 01, 2012, 01:03:51 AM

Which one.... The wiggling of the cords, the shaking of the object, or the smack on the side...  Best not to answer   :o

In truth, she is pretty good. After almost 32 years, she still lets me collect phones, and lets me use the other house for the museum!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Phonesrfun

Mine is very good about the hobby too. 
-Bill G

stub

;D   My wife of 42 yrs. wants the phones OUT of the house to the shop or basement. I'm the boss ::) so they will go to the basement when I get time to build some more shelves. ;D  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

DavePEI

Quote from: stub on April 01, 2012, 01:51:07 AM
  ;D   My wife of 42 yrs. wants the phones OUT of the house to the shop or basement. I'm the boss ::) so they will go to the basement when I get time to build some more shelves. ;D  stub
They way I look at it, is she has her 500+ teapots in this house, and her salt and pepper collection oh, and her latest, angels and cocks (male chickens to make that perfectly clear), so I am glad to have the other house for the museum. That way the beauty of the phones isn't marred by the background clutter! :'(
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub on April 01, 2012, 01:51:07 AM
I'm the boss ::) so they will go to the basement when I get time to build some more shelves. ;D  stub

You're going to need a full time carpenter building shelves to keep up with the USPS guy delivering phones.

Terry