and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40 pix

Started by finlover, January 24, 2010, 03:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 24, 2010, 09:04:10 PM
Finlover,

Mine looks alright in the dark, but the the sunlight hits it, it looks rather dull.

Your phone has a normal ringer, so it should just work.

Larry

Thanks, Larry,
Try some carnauba car wax on it.  The results will surprise you.

LarryInMichigan

I plan to stop at an auto parts store later this week to get some things, so I will plan to pick up some wax while I am there.  The next question is how to make worn bakelite look black, instead of spotted brown, underneath the wax.

Larry

finlover

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 24, 2010, 10:49:20 PM
I plan to stop at an auto parts store later this week to get some things, so I will plan to pick up some wax while I am there.  The next question is how to make worn bakelite look black, instead of spotted brown, underneath the wax.

Larry

Unfortunately, short of painting it, I don't think there's a cure.  I've read elsewhere that people have tried to dye it with no success.  If it's a worn handset, try contacting Chuck Irwin in Portland for a better replacement.  His number is (503) 253-1222.  He's very knowledgeable and his prices are reasonable.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 24, 2010, 10:49:20 PM

Larry

I hate to say it, but try black shoe polish. It works wonders and a lot of collectors use it on old bakelite. once it is buffed in it looks great. I used wax base polish.

The easier way is Magnolia Glazit. You can get it from Graybar, / , and I think Phoneco. There are probably some folks on the TCI list who sell it
It is a telephone polish, spray on, wipe off. If you sell in a mall you can raise the price $20-30 per phone on 1 <5min application.

Jim S.

http://www.sandman.com , this is a neat site he has neat stuff and some good history pages. also some cleaning and polishing products.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 24, 2010, 09:10:48 PM
What is the trick to finding parts on phonecos site. I've never seen a worse index fore a site in my life.
I've looked that sight high and low and can not find parts for the AE40, I can find the phones but no parts listed on the home page. It says Payphones, Payphone parts, then it says wooden phones, and wooden phone parts, then it goes on to Art Deco phones of the 30"s but no parts.

D/P
I think their index is much better than it was in the 1970's.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

I would also like to point out that this is much easier to read on the computer vs the printed page.  The 2 telephone scrapbooks and the index are all typeset in the same style.

Even though these references seem crude. Ron Knappen's publications have been a standard telephone reference for years.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

Maybe someone should get the catalog and try to organize a good reference tool for collectors.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 25, 2010, 08:04:28 PM
Maybe someone should get the catalog and try to organize a good reference tool for collectors.
D/P

After scanning these pages and playing with the scan, I would say that a digital copy is much better.

It crossed my mind in the past that if Ron's original scapbooks were still intact, then a scan of it might be nice.
I think the original got disassembled (in part) for the payphone book (rumour).
I do think that a collector in FL may have a digital copy that he is authorized to print-on-demand copies from.

I am thinking the scrapbook on disc might be a good thing to have.

We should get Vern P. to ask Mary, she likes him (such a nice young man).

Jim S.
You live, You learn,